Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Big Thanks To The Military Crews

Last night I watched a program on the killing of that SOB Bin Laden. I have been flying helicopters for 40 years in the bush and never in the military. I just wanted to say to any military crews flying in harms way that I cannot begin to find the right words for all you do. It really hit home on this Bin Laden Mission for me. These crews went with no cover and no idea if they would be coming back. Where do they get this courage. Then I realized that this applies to all the military crews everywhere. I spent last summer checking out Air Museums and all the WW2 bombers. I realized how terrifying it was to climb into those thin skined not much of anything and do what they did. If you look at helicopter they are much the same. Thin skined slow not much of anything. On the Bin Laden mission they lost a helicopter. Well if I had been driving the bus I would have bushed it 5 feet after takeoff leaving on the mission. So thanks again to those military crews. Unbelievable is what you do. I am not sure what the Canadian Military is flying now and I hope they fund the **** of it. You deserve the best we can give you.

• Like 1

AND a big thanks to our politicians and bureaucrats for screwing both the soldiers and the taxpayers.

http://www.casr.ca/ft-selling-off-chinooks.htm

Don't get me started on what B$ the whole democracy for Afghanistan, 9-11/Bin Laden thing was/is, no kidding they didn't show the body after he was "killed", many believe that he never even existed but was a contrivance of the Americans in order to justify giving tax money to defense contractors while at the same time taking away the civil liberties of its own citizens. Time will tell where this whole thing is going. Remember how Hitler came to power in Germany... Night of the Long Knives, but really it's a progression. History repeats its self.

(shouldn't this be in the Military section?)

W.

• Like 1

..... Just wondering why we are fighting these ISIS richards with a half dozen of our fighters [CF18], probably the only ones we have. Does'nt Saudi Arabia have hundreds of fighters they could send in, why the heck is our guys sticking our *****'s in the hornets nest. Oh that's right, mini Bush [Harper] wants to show his statesman like foreign policy. What a plug.

Okay all done now.

Incoming thread derailment!

I have no problem with our boys getting some real target practice on the members of ISIL.

These are some pretty horrible individuals as we've been reminded again this weekend and to allow them to accomplish their goals would be to have one mega large fundamentalist state, that wants nothing more than to kill anyone who doesn't drink their coolaid.

We aren't the ones paying the price in this war so far, (aside from some tax dollars) its the Kurdish men and woman and Free Syrians paying the real price against these monsters. I think the whole "its someone else's problem" mentality made world war 2 what it was.

We say "lest we forget" yet so many of us forget everyday what that really means. Its not just about remembering the sacrifices, its also about remember the mistakes the world made.

I'd love to see the Saudi's and other Muslim countries helping more as well, but the problem is some of the "have nots" in those populations are easily swayed to the side of the fundamentalists. The princes have to sleep in the bed they make.

One tiny bit on topic. I am very grateful for the men and woman in our armed forces. Its a challenging environment to work and succeed in for many reasons and I'm glad we have many that do.

• Like 3

Well if you want to believe that when you die you go to Heaven, or Elysium or where every it is your specific religion sends you as a reward for venerating some invisible all encompassing god then fine. From what I have seen so far, other than that somewhat questionable reward it doesn't offer much except the fuzzy warm feeling that things just don't end when you die. There are those of course who use it as a tool (usually on the uneducated though not less intelligent) to control and tax them. One other "minor" trait is that it is used to turn women into second class citizens in most cases.

W.

AND a big thanks to our politicians and bureaucrats for screwing both the soldiers and the taxpayers.

http://www.casr.ca/ft-selling-off-chinooks.htm

Don't get me started on what B$ the whole democracy for Afghanistan, 9-11/Bin Laden thing was/is, no kidding they didn't show the body after he was "killed", many believe that he never even existed but was a contrivance of the Americans in order to justify giving tax money to defense contractors while at the same time taking away the civil liberties of its own citizens. Time will tell where this whole thing is going. Remember how Hitler came to power in Germany... Night of the Long Knives, but really it's a progression. History repeats its self.

(shouldn't this be in the Military section?)

W.

One question. If they didn't kill him, because there was no body, why hasn't Al Qaeda shown him alive? Would discredit the entire US operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, the US president and everyone in the US military. Never existed? Man that's rich.

• Like 2

One question. If they didn't kill him, because there was no body, why hasn't Al Qaeda shown him alive? Would discredit the entire US operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, the US president and everyone in the US military. Never existed? Man that's rich.

The free thinkers among us will always question the government. I suspect that in pre-world war 2 Germany some questioned whether it was in fact Hitler's own Brown Shirts that attacked the parliament which gave Hitler the excuse to institute martial law to "protect" the people.

Fast forward to today, we have a massive military industrial complex that is suckling off the taxpayers teat. With the end of the cold war there was the possibility of an end to hyper military expenditures but this is not in the interest of those who profit from it so what to do... Manufacture a villain, one who incidentally has changed is appearance a few times in the ten years or so he has been paraded in front of us. How many of you have that scene of the first plane crashing into the tower (yeah, you know the one i am talking about...) imprinted in your heads? You my friends have been brainwashed by this image. Of course the fact that a mostly aluminum aircraft crashed into a large steel and concrete structure and NONE of its components fell to the street but that it cut into the building like a hot knife through warm butter should not give anyone pause to think... Yes believe anything and everything you are told by the government because it's run by the people for the people, not by special interest groups and lobbyists and their large corporate masters. Those who do not look can not see. And speaking of rich, the only ones getting rich are the ones pulling the wool over your eyes.

W.