Prang In New Brunswick

Skidz

Cadors Number: 2014A1082 Occurrence Category(ies):
  • Other
  • External load related occurrences
  • Low altitude operations

Occurrence Information Occurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2014-11-04 Occurrence Time: 1800 Z Day Or Night: day-time Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0 Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name: Occurrence Location: 4.5 NM southeast of Grand Manan Airport Province: New Brunswick TC Region: Atlantic Region Country: Canada World Area: North America Reported By:
  • Transportation Safety Board of Canada
AOR Number: TSB Class Of Investigation: Class 5 TSB Occurrence No: A14A0093
Occurrence Event Information

Aircraft Information Registration Mark: GCHR Foreign Registration: Flight #: Flight Rule: Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: Canada Aircraft Make: BELL Aircraft Model: 206L-1 Year Built: 1979 Amateur Built: No Engine Make: ALLISON Engine Model: 250-C28B Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type: Land Phase Of Flight: Hover Damage: Substantial Owner: Government Of Canada, Department Of Transport Operator: GOVERNMENT OF CANADA, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT (2134) Operator Type: State CARs Subpart: Other
Aircraft Event Information
  • External load
  • Loss of control - inflight
  • Windshield/window (aircraft)

Occurrence Summary Date: 2014-11-13 Further Action Required: No O.P.I.: Narrative: TSB Report#A14A0093: The Department of Transport, Aircraft Services Directorate, Bell 206L-1 helicopter (C-GCHR) was carrying out a slinging operation to install a marine navigation tower into a base located in Cheney Passage off Grand Manan, NB.The 20 ft high tower was being supported by 2- 15 ft long rope straps which were attached to the helicopter's cargo hook by a 4 ft long lanyard. When the tower was partially installed it became misaligned and tipped to one side. As the pilot began to correct for the misalignment the tower swung around and the helicopter banked to the right. When the pilot attempted to lift the tower that had become stuck in the base the helicopter continued to bank to the right. An attempt was made to release the load and although the cargo hook functioned correctly, the lanyard would not slide off the cargo hook. The 2 rope straps subsequently failed and the helicopter jerked upward. Once stabilized and in level flight the pilot noted that both main bubble windows were cracked. The helicopter was flown to a landing site uneventfully. The pilot, the sole occupant, was uninjured. After landing, it was noted that the tip of the wire strike arm on the roof of the cabin had broken off and both main rotor blades were damaged on the bottom of the blade.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

Guest Freewheel

Further action required: NO???

I wonder if he was using the proper sized primary and secondary rings...as per the flight manual supplement.

Also odd that they choose to short line a tower. I'd go with a longline myself. But who am I to second guess Transport Canada helicopter operations?

Hey,just had a chat with my buddy who is the pilot involved.Will not elaborate but this guy has just as many years under his belt as I do and lets all thank that he is Ok.This guy is one **** of a pilot and a good friend.S&*(t happens to everyone and thankfully he is ok.All I can say right now.

glad to hear your buddy is ok, dgp...

I'm sure everyone agrees with that. I wasn't taking pleasure in his misfortunes.

It just goes to show even experienced guys are not immune to this type of accident.

While "sh*t happens", there is usually a reason.

Now it's time to start thinking about how they can prevent it from happening at his organization (and throughout industry). This is the type of accident many could learn from if they new the root cause(s) and contributing factors.

The hook on a jetranger faces laterally, thus if the lanyard is pulled the way to the loadbeam hingepoint it would not have mattered what type of hook you have, the lanyard would have stayed on hook. Had this happen to me with a 204 and on a longline. Lowering collective slightly to keep any slack in line from forming, while positioning over load was necessary. I will only add one additional comment that shortlining long objects is never a good idea. My rule of thumb(and not related to this incident) is that if the load is long enough to reach up and hit the tailrotor you are on too short(or too long for example a bambi bucket) a line.

The LONGranger also has a lateral hook, but it is different than the Jet Ranger hook. There are several STC'd external hooks available for the Bell 206 L1, but the hook in the original Flight Manual Supplement (issued with the manual) is manufactured by Breeze Eastern.

One of the main differences is the primary ring size called for in the flight manual supplement is significantly smaller than the jet ranger. Another thing many people don't realize (because I don't beleive it is stated in the Supplement), is that the primary ring is supposed to circular (such as the one shown here:
http://www.onboardsystems.com/products/SK-11421-1

The Breeze eastern Service Information Letter "SIL04" was issued in 2004 "To clarify and improve the recommended rigging procedures...It has quite a bit more information than the Flight Manual supplement on rigging. It was revised in 2010. It also advises that shackles and clevis' should not be used directly on Load arm or Load beam. From what I've seen in the field, it is not unusual for operators to use these items as primary rings in our industry.

I would attach a copy of the original SIL04 from 2004, but I can't seem to attach items in this forum.

A quicke web search came up with this sikorsky document advising operators to use the procedures in SIL04.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fxa.yimg.com%2Fkq%2Fgroups%2F23203723%2F1372928595%2Fname%2FSSA-S76-11-0001-1.pdf&ei=6wpqVNLyFcKtyASmx4GABw&usg=AFQjCNFgq2emmAf6ok2EL12JR0eidwzcxw&sig2=Kdeeo31iGFBRz5W8CWVNtw&bvm=bv.79142246,d.aWw