Unmanned K-Max

The unmanned K-Max is not only flying real missions in Afghanistan, now it is bucketing too.

http://youtu.be/53cBlCfLpZg. I realise there is a section to post videos, but this seems to have more relevance to General Helicopter Operations than many of the posts here lately. If we get a few of these in Wabasca and Rainbow Lake we won't need all those TFWs anymore!!!

Would any of you imagined this 10 - 15 years ago? Try to imagine what things might look like in 10 -15 years from now. I would imagine, Bob, that it won't be long before radar, both vertically and forward looking, or GPS, or some brand new "thing" could look after any conditions that may be encountered. Good luck to all of you that aren't very well established in the industry already. This kind of thing will hit the commercial world sooner than we may like to think.

I would love to see how well that drone would do in the mountains dealing with shifting winds and turbulence. Add a raging fire with thermals on some steep slopes and I think the operator may be in over his/her head......

I wonder if it has a recognition system so it won't drop on ground crew .....

Probably hire highschool kids to run them ..... pay them with pop and chips and gum.

"That darn electro-box can't outfly me!".

I assume you all still ride horses into town for fresh milk every morning too, because those darn petrol-burners are so unreliable!

Have you guys every flown a (cheap) RC helicopter lately? The onboard solid state gyros and GPS stabilization will make you all look like Michael J Fox got a pilot's license, mountain turbulence or not. Throw a few million into a a system and scale it into 10k lb lifter? No problem.

This IS the future, like it or not. Luckily they haven't trained any drones to fix them when they have snags, so my job is still secure!

• Like 1