Hard Landing For A Robbie While Shooting Autos

Skidz

Cadors Number: 2014P1964 Occurrence Category(ies):
  • Abnormal runway contact
  • Other

Occurrence Information Occurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2014-11-18 Occurrence Time: 1717 Z Day Or Night: day-time Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0 Canadian Aerodrome ID: CYLW Aerodrome Name: KELOWNA BC (CYLW) Occurrence Location: KELOWNA BC (CYLW) Province: British Columbia TC Region: Pacific Region Country: Canada World Area: North America Reported By:
  • NAV CANADA
  • Transportation Safety Board of Canada
AOR Number: 181584-V1 TSB Class Of Investigation: Class 5 TSB Occurrence No: A14P0197
Occurrence Event Information

Aircraft Information Registration Mark: GOHE Foreign Registration: Flight #: Flight Rule: VFR Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: Canada Aircraft Make: ROBINSON Aircraft Model: R22 BETA Year Built: 1998 Amateur Built: No Engine Make: AVCO LYCOMING Engine Model: O-360-J2A Engine Type: Reciprocating Gear Type: Land Phase Of Flight: Landing Damage: Substantial Owner: Okanagan Mountain Helicopters Ltd Operator: OKANAGAN MOUNTAIN HELICOPTERS LTD. (14897) Operator Type: Commercial CARs Subpart: 406
Aircraft Event Information
  • Hard landing
  • ELT

Occurrence Summary Date: 2014-11-19 Further Action Required: Yes O.P.I.: Commercial & Business Aviation Narrative: While on a training flight, an Okanagan Mountain Helicopters Robinson R22 Beta (C-GOHE) on a local flight from Kelowna, BC (CYLW) suffered a hard landing. Emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was set off. No injuries and minimal damage to aircraft. ELT was turned off after four minutes. No operational impact.
Date: 2014-11-24 Further Action Required: Yes O.P.I.: Commercial & Business Aviation Narrative: UPDATE: TSB Report#A14P0197: The Okanagan Helicopters R22, C-GOHE, with an instructor and student on board were practising auto rotations. RPM was not recovered in time and there was a hard landing. The skid gear was spread and the ELT activated. There were no injuries.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

• 1 month later...

Full on auto's for sure.You aint getting nothing doing power recoveries.Its the last 20 feet that you better know what you are doing.Getting there at the right height and airspeed are very important for sure but putting it on the ground takes lots of practise and if you haven;t done it in training it aint gonna do any good when the real thing happens.I love doing full on autos.Thanks to Al Lang.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Helilog hahaha that I would love to see!

I think the main issue is having pilots fresh out of school, or a few years in, teaching new students.. eventually there will be a crash.. Thats where the US is lacking.. In Canada its going that way with insurance rates going up etc, but hey, if we had better trainers, wouldnt there less incidents?

I am very fortunate to do my recurrent with a extremely good training pilot. And there is full ons all the day from all angles height speed weights, how else are you gonna learn? We do them in both 44's and 206's
You imagine having full seats in any machine, and the stove quits at 50 ft on final to a hill, atleast if you have done em, you might be able to save a few souls, if all you done is power recovery on a flat fielt, run ons etc... its not gonna end well.

I Think TC should implement mandatory full ons during initial and recurrent training...

• 1 month later...

The R22 was never designed with training in mind. It was built for personal transport use only. Why is it so popular at FTU's? Cost of course. As long as it continues to be used for training there will always be accidents. The "T" style cyclic set up when duals installed is far less than ideal for training/transfer of control and follow through techniques. I read somewhere once, that one has roughly 0.9 of a second to reduce to flat pitch post engine failure before potential catastrophic NR decay occurs. Just ask any instructor how much they enjoy doing autos in an R22....? Wrong aircraft for the job......imho.

• Thanks 1