External Load Dropped...in Peru

Skidz

Cadors Number: 2014H0167 Occurrence Category(ies):
  • Other

Occurrence Information Occurrence Type: Incident Occurrence Date: 2014-10-04 Occurrence Time: 1630 Z Day Or Night: day-time Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0 Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name: Occurrence Location: 8 NM NNE Iscozacin Base Province: TC Region: National Capital Region (NCR) Country: Republic of Peru World Area: South America Reported By:
  • Transportation Safety Board of Canada
AOR Number: TSB Class Of Investigation: Class 5 TSB Occurrence No: A14F0129
Occurrence Event Information

Aircraft Information Registration Mark: GKTL Foreign Registration: Flight #: Flight Rule: UNK Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: Canada Aircraft Make: BELL Aircraft Model: 212 Year Built: 1980 Amateur Built: No Engine Make: PRATT & WHITNEY-CAN Engine Model: PT6T-3 Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type: Land Phase Of Flight: Cruise Damage: No Damage Owner: Great Slave Helicopters Ltd. Operator: GREAT SLAVE HELICOPTERS LTD. (4756) Operator Type: Commercial CARs Subpart:
Aircraft Event Information
  • Object dropped from aircraft

Occurrence Summary Date: 2014-10-16 Further Action Required: No O.P.I.: Narrative: TSB Report#A14F0129: The Great Slave Helicopters Bell 212 (C-GKTL), operating under the operator certificate (OC) of ECO Copters of Peru, was being used to sling-carry supplies from Iscozacin Base, Peru, to a location about 15 nm from the Base. A single hook with two cargo nets was being used. While en route, about 8 nm NNE of Iscozacin Base, a slight bump was felt. It was then observed that items were streaming from the slung cargo into a forested area. One of the slung cargo nets had released its contents, which were explosives for seismic work. Both cargo nets remained attached to hook. There were no ground injuries. The cargo was recovered and a site clean-up conducted. The seismic company is assessing both the cargo net failure and the training of the cargo net loaders.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

A client's argo broke down in the field the other day while carrying explosives. At least 3 separate people on site asked me at least a 1/2 dozen times whether I could fly the explosives out for them. They all knew the answer before they asked me the first time, but they each figured they would ask again (and again), just in case I suddenly felt like breaking the rules, I guess?

Client induced pressure in its simplest form :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest helicopterji

Wow....I'm surprised at the use of cargo nets for explosives...when we were doing seismic in Mexico we only uses lined metal framed baskets that were virtually indestructible. Hopefully all the explosives were recovered!!!??!?!

That's what was used in Alberta in the 90's ....... and I did drop a powder mag ....... no drama ...... minor damage ..... 57 pages of paperwork.

I cannot imagine what it would be like now ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...