Smoke

Interesting to note that the RCMP are looking into smoke inhalation by members involved in the Ft. Mac fire. That and people not being allowed home due to air quality issues among other things.

As helicopter pilots spend great amounts of time in smoke, often much more extreme than many would believe, I have to wonder if there has ever been any compensation awarded to a pilot that may have acquired cancer or emphysema or some such disease. I know that I have suffered headaches after a long stretch of bucketing in the smoke.

I am not sure if compensation is available to fire fighters, whether it be the "city" type or the forestry guys.

Comments anyone?

Here,s a link to a recent article that relates to " Professional firefighters " and WCB covered cancers. http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-firefighters-calling-for-expanded-cancer-coverage-1.2839246I know first hand how long and hard Professional Firefighters have fought to have these cancers covered, and it sure would be great if Forest Fire Fighters would get the same reconigtion. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Thanks gwk. It doesn't apply to me and I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone in the industry had any comments to make about it or had ever even thought about it. Interesting that you would think it great if Forest Fire Fighters would get the same recognition - they should - and yet you don't mention us at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Just makes me think of how people complain about the money contract pilots make ......... and then I think of how they wouldn't get a wooden nickel of compensation for any job related medical issues!

People complain about contract pilots making too much money?

• Like 1

Maury, on 21 May 2016 - 5:30 PM, said:

Thanks gwk.  It doesn't apply to me and I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone in the industry had any comments to make about it or had ever even thought about it.  Interesting that you would think it great if Forest Fire Fighters would get the same recognition - they should - and yet you don't mention us at all.

You may want to be careful what can of worms you open!  Not sure a lot of us want to be flying around using mandated resperator masks??? 

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you not become a contact pilot then?!?!?! That's basically saying that you don't want money. If you have a problem then fix it or quit bitching!

I only make money when I work so I make it count when I do...like all contractors. Operators like us because they don't have costs when it's slow and when we work we actually want to fly.

• Like 1

Why would you not become a contact pilot then?!?!?! That's basically saying that you don't want money. If you have a problem then fix it or quit bitching!

I only make money when I work so I make it count when I do...like all contractors. Operators like us because they don't have costs when it's slow and when we work we actually want to fly.

Rotor you have it correct. Work hard and quietly do a professional job and you will always find work. Moan all the time about how hard done by you are and wonder why nobody want's to hire you. Simple choice really.
  • Like 1