Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Nav Canada Vfr Vnc Charts Finally Available In Electronic Format !

Does the app function outside of cell phone coverage? Obviously the map does but does the gps provide coverage? I have tried it with my iphone 4 in airplane mode and does not provide position, but question is will it be the same with ipad mini or ipad retina? Seems like the way to go imho.

Gen 1 Ipads have their own GPS receiver, but after that its a GPS "assisted" cell locator... but apart from going backwards in technology; some companies like Bad Elf and GLO have made GPS receivers that either plug into iPads and phones or bluetooth versions. I've been using Foreflight with a bluetooth Bad Elf for the past year and the only problem I've had is not having enough coverage in Canada.

As far as cheap goes, if you have the iPad already or are planning on using it more than an aircraft GPS, its a considerably cheaper way to keep on track; and if you get the 3g and have service you can even track weather on the fly to know when you've missed something.

I have the IPad 2 and I have been using ForeFlight in the US for two years.

It is a great invention- I don't have bad elf nor do I have a 3G plan for it and it works flawlessly.

I was told that the GPS receiver is better on iPads with 3G, so I bought that model and have never added a SIM card.

I have long waited for the day when I can throw away my VNCs and VTAs and go paperless in Canada..,,

"Airplane mode" on your phone shuts off ALL of your transmit/receive functions; cellular, wi-fi, Bluetooth, location functions, and - yep - GPS capability, too.

iPhones and *some* iPads have GPS capabilities - the newer wireless-only iPads do not have GPS/GLONASS capabilites, but those that are wifi + cellular capable do actually have GPS/GLONASS antennas built in. Apparently there are aftermarket dedicated GPS antennas that can link to your iPad through Bluetooth, but I haven't tried one. Sounds like a battery-killer...

There are a bunch of pilots where I work that are using the wifi+cellular iPad Mini as their primary GPS unit. There's quite a bit of cell coverage in northeastern BC, but the iPads *do* work as a GPS with no cellular signal - however when you first turn it on it apparently does take longer to get the initial satellite fix when the cell network isn't available to "help". The other plus is iBal, which is a company standard anyways.

I think Air Nav Pro is their app of choice; $49 in the app store, and you can load it on all your i-devices for one price; so you can use your iPhone as a backup in a pinch. I know one guy is using a $8 topo map download to provide 'base' maps for his Air Nav Pro app. I think the app also keeps track of airtime time to and from the waypoints, which sounds useful for writing out flight tickets, etc.

The one downside I've heard is that the iPad Mini doesn't like a lot of direct sunlight - two guys each had their iPad Minis shut down due to a temperature warning when they were mounted on top of the instrument stack in the full sun on a hot day. I know one other pilot straps his Mini to his knee - I wonder if this might keep it out of the sun (or just get in the way).

I'm sorta in the market for a GPS device soon... as a dispatcher/ground guy I don't have the need (or the extra $$ :^p) just yet, but I will someday so I'm doing research now. The iPad Mini sure sounds like the wave of the future - 10 hour battery life, nice big screen, lots of third party support for apps and maps and whatnot, the ability to get weather forecasts, send/receive email, Skype the wife, watch stupid cat videos online, or even just read an e-book or watch a movie on a weather day. Sounds pretty handy to me.

Even if the Canadian VNC charts are only currently available with ForeFlight, it's a good sign of things to come. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction and we'll soon have the option of digital charts (and imagine a digital version of the CFS!) across lots of different platforms.

Thoughts?

-Darren

Interesting discussion and I look forward to where all this is going.

However, what does your Ops Manual say about using e charts?

Are they approved?

Hey Jim, I'm quite sure charts from the 80s haven't been approved since the 80s!

And, in this age of GPS, who ever looks at charts anymore?

Maybe we need some new Regs to suit the new technology.

Thoughts??

We had this discussion at work a while back. CARs says that for day VFR, the pilot has the responsibility to have with him the necessary aids to navigation in order to carry out the flight, including any alternates. It does not specifically state you need to have up to date VNCs, VTAs, WACs or anything else for that matter. As far as GPS goes, you cannot rely on it as your sole means of navigation.

So, if you're only flying in an area you know like the back of your hand, technically you don't HAVE to carry maps or GPS. Your "mark I eye ball" as Jim puts it is your navaid...

Far as I'm concerned, I like to have all the help I can get. I'm not the type to turn on the car GPS to go to the market, but... :)

• Like 1