Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Unknown Gazelles

March 20 2014

My first forum comment after following the forum for years. The "Gazelle" comment caught my eye because I have pictures of the gazelles owned by Haida helicopters and Lac St Jean Aviation. I cannot make out the registrations on the old slides I have. Haida had their machine working out of Matagami, Quebec in the early 1970's on the James Bay "Hydro Quebec" project. Lac St Jean Aviation had their machine working out of Chibougamau, Quebec on the Hydro Quebec project. Both companies were owned by Haida helicopters which was absorbed into Canadian Helicopters. Eastern name for Okanagan Helicopters in those days.

DGP mentioned machines in Quebec in the early 1970's. I assume these were the ones he heard about?

Cambox mentioned that the pilot on the Finning machine as Jerry Jefferies. I believe the pilot's name was actually Ron Jefferies.

Many memories of the James Bay Project and all the different helicopter companies involved.

March 20 2014

My first forum comment after following the forum for years. The "Gazelle" comment caught my eye because I have pictures of the gazelles owned by Haida helicopters and Lac St Jean Aviation. I cannot make out the registrations on the old slides I have. Haida had their machine working out of Matagami, Quebec in the early 1970's on the James Bay "Hydro Quebec" project. Lac St Jean Aviation had their machine working out of Chibougamau, Quebec on the Hydro Quebec project. Both companies were owned by Haida helicopters which was absorbed into Canadian Helicopters. Eastern name for Okanagan Helicopters in those days.

DGP mentioned machines in Quebec in the early 1970's. I assume these were the ones he heard about?

Cambox mentioned that the pilot on the Finning machine as Jerry Jefferies. I believe the pilot's name was actually Ron Jefferies.

Many memories of the James Bay Project and all the different helicopter companies involved.

I don 't remember any of these companies having Gazelles in SEBJ country. They did have Alouette II's and Lamas.

Hi 5555, great to see you and welcome to the 'Gazelle Club'!'

According my database, Haida operated CF-MQQ back in the 1970s... so, this may be the one on your slide.
Many clouds have come and gone since the pretty Gazelle would grace the Canadian skies but with your help we can preserve the history of this aircraft in your fine country.
Thanks again to all who have contributed.

• 5 weeks later...

Yup, they seemed to be around in the hay-day of helicopters in Canada; the 47's were slowly dying out, lots of 206's,500's, Al II's, the odd Gazelle! Decent rates for the equipment and great crews who had lots of pride in flying and fixing 'em. Boy has the industry changed, some for the better, a lot for the worse!

Maybe we need a "pride" thread?" LOL

R...

Hi 5555, great to see you and welcome to the 'Gazelle Club'!'

Many clouds have come and gone since the pretty Gazelle would grace the Canadian skies but with your help we can preserve the history of this aircraft in your fine country.
Thanks again to all who have contributed.