Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Earthman

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  1. There is certainly no replacement for a full-on auto. Gotta like 'em! :punk:
  2. The answer from the original question. Every 15 minutes. :punk: Definately a good PPC question. Earthman
  3. Remember there is a HUGE difference between a "puppy mill" and a busy school. So far all I've seen here is that if a school is busy it's automatically a so called "puppy mill". But it's actually far from the truth. A "puppy mill" only cares about taking your money and getting you out the door and isn't concerned about helping you to get started in your career. A busy non "puppy mill" school is busy because of their reputation and for many years have provided well trained pilots. If you're not sure about a school, ask the companies in the industry that hire their students and you'll find w
  4. I purchased my own Garmin 296. Man, what a great unit. It was a little pricey at about $1500 but it's a great tool and with the many types of upgrades you can use it for many years to come. One great function is the obstacle alerts that have already come in handy when you're in low vis in an area you're not familiar with. Personally, I would recommend spending the extra money and you won't be dissapointed.
  5. Here's the deal. Croman operates a "N" registered 61 in Canada and needs co-pilots with an FAA license and the ability to work in Canada. There is no real experience required. Pacific Air Crane is their counterpart that operates a 206 to support the 61 and of course some experience is required to do that job.
  6. It is not always automatically NO. For example, if a Canadian operator leases an "N" registered aircraft and the pilots have a valid PPC on the type (from the Canadian operator), you can fly it as long as it stays in Canadian airspace.
  7. The best flashlight I have found is called a Streamlight "Strion". It's only 5.7" long and it pumps out 12,000 candlepower and it comes with a D/C and A/C charger. I've been using one for a year or so now and it's great. Small and powerful. It's costs about $90-100US. I little pricey bit it will last a very long time. All their products are at www.streamlight.com Good Luck :up:
  8. Dave Ferguson left VIH a year or so ago and is working for Bell Helicopter as a test/training pilot at Mirabell, Quebec.
  9. Well, here's the latest lowdown on PPC's from a TC inspector the other day. Try to follow along! TC is going to continue to do PPC's but will allow the PPCed pilot to perform PPC's on company pilots as long as their own is done yearly. So if a Chief Pilot or Training Pilot (or whoever the company designates) does a PPC every year with TC they are pretty much the eqivalent of an Approved Company Check Pilot which usually only larger companies have. If you don't do your PPC with TC, the company designated pilot will do it and it can still be extended for two years with a PCC in betwee
  10. The hardest part is being legal to work in the US. Work permits are becoming harder to get. Usually you have to work for a company that works on both sides of the border for a year, then they can apply for a work permit which is good for somewhere between 1-5 years. Unless you have direct family in the US this is about the only way to get a permit. To get an FAA license you have to do an FAA background check that takes about 6 weeks to get back, one written exam, a flight test (you must fly at least 3 hours with a US instructor prior) and get issued a private US license which is done j
  11. Hey Nova. If you are thinking about the Canadian or US licence, Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford B.C. does the the training for both of them. If you want just one or both licences, they can help you out. To do the two licences they will help use your time wisely in the Canadian training to meet the standards for the FAA licence. Either way, certainly check them out before you do choose a school since they have an excellent reputation in the industry.
  12. Keep in mind these things about new training schools. New schools often do not have a good organized training syllabus and structure. You really need to be at a proven school with a reputable background and one the the industry has respect for. Remember, when you go for that first job, an employer will certainly look at where you trained. If he knows the school and the quality of insruction there, he will be more satisfied. It's best to go to the school in person and meet the instructors and see if you like the vibe of the place. If you thinking the Bell 47, Chinook Helicopters is the pl
  • Create New...