Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


oban last won the day on July 17 2013

oban had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

12 Good

About oban

  • Rank

  • Birthday 11/02/1965

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Recent Profile Visitors

6,561 profile views
  1. Shoo goo or goop. Don’t travel without it and your Roho will last forever. Or at least mine has so far. I have the “Airhawk”. At least seven years. Several repairs. Bought mine through a motorcycle dealer in Kelowna if I remember correctly. At the time would’ve been cheaper just to order directly from the states.
  2. Must have. You may walk across a pile of open tundra or boulder fields but as soon as you come to a depression of any sort (where your going to want to seek shelter) you'll be up to your hips in snow cursing and swearing.
  3. Not me. Ever have one of those tours where by the time you in the plane headed home your only thought is "if i see just one more helicopter i may snap!!!" Imagine that happening if you were working Gynecology...... No thanks!!!! I'll stick with flying
  4. Of all people, you would know best. Made me LOL. All the best to you too!
  5. All i know is that after 15 years in the business, and having switched over from being an auto mechanic for 13 years, i certainly couldn't go out and get a "real" job. This industry has ruined me..... But it certainly beats working for a living!!! Love it!!
  6. I bought mine by finding a Canadian dealer and gave him the model number. It was a motorcycle shop in Kamloops if i remember correctly. I bought the aviation seat and love it although i don't use it in the Astar because the original seat works well for me. I do love it for the long hauls to and from South America in cattle class though and it's perfect for the plastic lawn chairs that we have in our tents.... Cheers
  7. Canmore yesterday from the air. The building with the red roof on the right hand side, is Alpine. The creek is running right through their hangers. My house is in that shot but fortunately far enough away from the river, so no damage. We just got back after having been evacuated for two days. Most of the houses running up the right hand side (east) of Cougar Creek are probably going to be bulldozed. Got to feel for them and what they are going through. Been an interesting few days. Cheers RT
  8. Kitchener Aero is where i've gotten mine. Cheers
  9. Thanks for posting that. We lived in North Bay from 69 - 75. My dad was a Captain until retiring as a Major due to medical leave (cancer) and then we moved south. I remember little of it but i know i went out to the base with him on occasion (peaked inside a fighter once) and he did work in "the hole" (underground) once in a while as well. Can't help but wonder how much of that area he wandered and where was his office. Died in 79 unfortunately, so many of the questions i have will never be answered, but it is great to see the place now, if only the walls could talk.... Cheers.
  10. Done deal. Thanks Corey for all your commitment to this. RT
  11. Copied and pasted from Alberta Outdoors forum. I found it to be very touching having just come back from the services downtown with our two young boys. Thanks to everyone past and present who has served our country. From an Airline Captain- A great read especially for this time of year!- LEST WE FORGET -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Had this sent to me today. Felt like sharing it. This is the first remembrance day I have missed in a long time. I am sitting in an Airport waiting for my flight home from Kabul. Subject: From an Airline Captain- A great read especially for this time of year!- LEST WE FORGET Letter from an airline pilot: He writes: My lead flight attendant came to me and said, "We have an H.R. On this flight." (H.R. Stands for human remains.) "Are they military?" I asked. 'Yes', she said. 'Is there an escort?' I asked. 'Yes, I've already assigned him a seat'. 'Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck. You can board him early," I said.. A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck. He was the image of the perfectly dressed soldier. He introduced himself and I asked him about his soldier. The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk about them as if they are still alive and still with us. 'My soldier is on his way back to Virginia ,' he said. He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no words. I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him that he had the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers. The first officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand. He left the flight deck to find his seat. We completed our pre-flight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful departure. About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead flight attendant in the cabin. 'I just found out the family of the soldier we are carrying, is on board', she said. She then proceeded to tell me that the father, mother, wife and 2-year old daughter were escorting their son, husband, and father home. The family was upset because they were unable to see the container that the soldier was in before we left. We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait four hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia . The father of the soldier told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family to bear. He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival. The family wanted to be outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane. I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when she asked me if there was anything I could do. 'I'm on it', I said. I told her that I would get back to her. Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail like messages. I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight dispatcher directly on a Secondary radio. There is a radio operator in the operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the dispatcher. I was in direct contact with the dispatcher. I explained the situation I had on board with the family and what it was the family wanted. He said he understood and that he would get back to me. Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher. We were going to get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family. I sent a text message asking for an update. I Saved the return message from the dispatcher and the following is the text: 'Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There is policy on this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated escort team will meet the aircraft. The team will escort the family to the ramp and plane side. A van will be used to load the remains with a secondary van for the family. The family will be taken to their departure area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the ramp. It is a private area for the family only. When the connecting aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home. Captain, most of us here in flight control are veterans.. Please pass our condolences on to the family. Thanks.' I sent a message back telling flight control thanks for a good job. I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass on to the father. The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, 'You have no idea how much this will mean to them.' Things started getting busy for the descent, approach and landing. After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area. The ramp is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway. It is always a busy area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit. When we entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told That all traffic was being held for us. 'There is a team in place to meet the aircraft', we were told. It looked like it was all coming together, then I realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. As we approached our gate, I asked the co-pilot to tell the ramp controller we were going to stop short of the gate to make an announcement to the passengers. He did that and the ramp controller said, 'Take your time.' I stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake. I pushed the public address button and said, 'Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking I have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect. His Name is Private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life. Private XXXXXX is under your feet in the cargo hold. Escorting him today is Army Sergeant XXXXXXX. Also, on board are his father, mother, wife, and daughter. Your entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to allow the family to exit the aircraft first. Thank you.' We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown procedures. A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door. I found the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see. I was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft. When the family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap his hands. Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire aircraft was clapping. Words of 'God Bless You', I'm sorry, thank you, be proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their way down the aisle and out of the airplane. They were escorted down to the ramp to finally be with their loved one. Many of the passengers disembarking thanked me for the announcement I had made. They were just words, I told them, I could say them over and over again, but nothing I say will bring back that brave soldier. I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this event and the sacrifices that millions of our men and women have made to ensure our freedom and safety in these USA, Canada, Australia New Zealand, England. Foot note: I know everyone who has served their country who reads this will have tears in their eyes, including me. Prayer chain for our Military... Don't break it! Please send this on after a short prayer for our service men and women. Don't break it! They die for me and mine and you and yours and deserve our honor and respect. 'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us..bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need.. In Jesus Name, Amen.' There is nothing attached. Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you. Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & others deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best one. GOD BLESS YOU!!!
  12. Heart felt condolences to all.
  13. An enormous and heartfelt thank you to all that have served, past and present. My utmost respect..... RT
  14. My doctor had me come back in week, during which time he had the information from his reference books that i assume he has as part of his approval to do aviation medicals. This also included a list of approved drugs to treat it.
  • Create New...