Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. Daniel: you asked...''What does it take?'' There is no rating available, or required, to perform aerobatics in Canada. There are ratings available to give aerobatic instruction. Basically one gives you the privelege to teach aerobatics, while the other allows you teach others aerobatic instruction techniques. These exist both for gliders and powered aircraft. As far as performing aerobatics with a passenger on board goes, a private pilot can do it provided he/she has adequate training and/or experience with aerobatics. This is, relatively speaking, a new rule from when many of us learned to fly. The numbers allude me right now, but I think it''s ten hours instruction and/or twenty hours of performance although don''t quote me on that. Check the CARs. Can you fly in airshows, or do you need a CPL? Well, that depends on whether you want to get paid or not. In reality, by the time you can fly aerobatics competently, confidently, and safely at an airshow level, you will have at least several hundred hours of aerobatic time so the CPL should just be a formality at that point anyway. Any major airshow promoter will require an ACE card entitling you to perform at airshows, at various altitudes, and Transport Canada will want to give you some paper too if you like to go low. Dedication, hard-work, and cajones are all important, but you need a mount, and the money to run it before you''ll ever get near an airshow. $100,000 is probably the absolute bare-bones, minimum price of admission to the game. However, if you want it bad enough, and you don''t kill yourself trying, it can be done. That''s what it takes.
  • Create New...