Jump to content


Advanced Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by __________

  1. Freewheel have you ever considered contacting ICAO HQ to tell them TCCA licences no longer conform to Annex 1 licencing standards. I assume the only reason they issued GALP 2005-02 was to conform with ICAO annex 1 personal licencing standards since TC has not listed any differences to Annex 1 flight times last I checked. You actually have letters of there official interpretation from individuals at TC of what they now consider flight time and air time which is different than GALP 2005-02 and annex 1. Its crazy because in that letter they wrote states there is confusion, but I guess canceling it was much easier than dealing with the mess.
  2. For anyone interested. I just wrote the FAA ATP conversion (FAAAH) exam which I assume is very similar to the FAACH. I found it hard to find info on what to study. As for study material the exam is basically all air law. 1 or 2 companies have online programs you can purchase to study for these exams. you must have a CAT 1 medical and application for the conversion mailed to TCCA to write the exam. I renewed my medical the day before and transport lost my application, but wasn't a problem was still able to write the exam. AIM RAC section will have most of the info you will need to study. off the top of my head the subjects on my exam included: Low level air routes- tricky question on this exam they are class E but the answer they might be looking for is located in class G so read the questions well. life jacket requirements. fight and duty limitations landing in built up areas requirements reportable aviation accidents and incidents atpl licence privileges cat 1 medical expiry night currency operating aircraft in foreign country special vfr day and night operational flight plans fight plans and itineraries, icao flight plan or flying to the US standard pressure region when to change altimeter setting flight plans and itineraries ifr uncontrolled and radio frequencies for uncontrolled and MF/ATF dangerous goods - basic questions northern domestic airspace and southern arctic control area, northern, and southern altitudes east to west cruising altitudes in northern and southern airspaces extension of duty times and what must you extend your time off by if you have extended duty times if you know these topics well you shouldn't have a problem. 25 questions 70% to pass for the FAAAH
  3. Has anyone converted there FAA ATP to the Canadian ATPL. I am wondering what the process was like, and mostly what was the FAAAH conversion exam like? I was thinking about converting my FAA ATP but even though I have a Canadian CPL-H with IR and ATPL exams written. I have been told I still need to write the FAAAH conversion exam (Airlaw & Communications). you would think there would be an exemption if you already held a Canadian CPL-H and ATPL exams written. Still much easier and cheaper than doing the multi crew ATPL check ride in Canada.
  4. Found the answer I was looking for if anyone is interested. CAR 421.40(5)(b ) https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part4-standards-421-1086.htm#421_40
  5. Does anyone know how to get a foreign helicopter type rating put on a Canadian licence these days? Seems that Cars 421.04 has changed or I can't find the requirement for foreign credit. I had put my foreign BH412 on my Canadian licence about 2 years ago. The requirement was: foreign skill test copy, certified licence, and 10hrs PIC or 50hrs on type,and ATPL exams written. Was fairly straight forward. Much appreciated if anyone has the info.
  6. Who wants to work the winters in Canada anyway. Slow, cold, icing, covers, heaters. Go contract just get a good garuntee.
  7. HV, Been to quite a few airports in the north, didn't now the fueler well but guess it's more common up there when there's no other options. Most don't mind filling empty drums they just make u fill them if there still in the back of the heli.
  8. I've heard Sheppard air is a great program to use as well. I wrote the full ATP exam last year and was told by an instructor expect to get about 10% less on the real exam than the practice exams. Was true for both I and my buddy who wrote.
  9. For the price of a new 412epi you think they would go for an Aw139. Better power margin and payload. With basic offshore configuration and 2 pilots your looking at around 3100lbs payload. So I assume coast guard machines will be heavier and will have hoist plus some other extras then put 2 crew in the back and with full fuel you be lifting at probably close to gross weight. It's a decent machine but old technology.
  10. Not going to get much"hood time" working for VFR companies and the IFR company I work for ops manual says only can fly hood with no passengers. Although when flying for VFR companies I did log any low vis training with foggles for unusual attitudes as instrument. Did not amount to much.
  11. I would do as much as possible simulator/FTD with heli school of choice (cheap). Pick a heli school and ask what you should be practicing like routing for exam, holds etc. most commercial heli pilots already have the 5 hrs instrument helicopter requirement but the school you will fly with will make you probably do at least 5 more hours to get ready for a check ride. So use those instrument hours you already had to gain commercial lisence. Then hire a plane and instructor to fill in the reminder of hours needed. I think the whole thing cost me about $12,000 including simulator, fixed wing, about 6 additional hours helicopter and Pro IFR seminar which I would highly reccomend.
  12. I have gone to 3 flight schools in Vancouver throughout my career, and 2 of the ones you have listed more recently. I would personally choose BC helicopters: The reason I would choose BC helicopters is because they are extremely helpful smaller school so you will get more personalized treatment and scheduling may be more flexible. This will probably save you money in the long run. As for the "type" they are all helicopters, you may want to get a 206 endorsement which is a more common used helicopter but stay away from the water bucketing and longline training, money can be spent better on different training if you have the $ to burn. I watched students doing water bucket training last time I was at YXX and unfortunately to use that training in western Canada you will need 500hrs experience and a mountain course to work for forestry. By the time a low time pilot gets the experience required the company they will be working for will provide the forestry training. You have to go visit all the schools to see, but remember bigger is not better and they are all giving you a sales pitch to get your money......
  13. I forgot to mention that it was not that easy to find a school to rent us a Schweizer . And under FAA regs to fly a R-22 you need SFAR 73 tanning which is 10hrs to fly solo in an R-22. But if it can be incorporated into training it would be cheaper plus there are a lot more R-22 around than Schweizer's to rent.
  14. For all those interested I just finished up some hour building in Florida, I got a restricted FAA PPL to legally fly a N-Reg (Paper work only), Did a flight review to validate the restricted PPL through the school I rented the aircraft from. Planned 2 weeks to build 50 hours night, and 1 week to do the ATP check ride. Got the 50 hrs night done in 8 nights with decent weather and the ATP training and check ride took 3 days. I needed TSA security check to do FAA ATP since I have never had a stand alone FAA licence. Paperwork takes minimum 1 month for validation of foreign licence to get the FAA PPL based on foreign licence. As well as the AFSP or TSA security clearance takes about the same. I split the cost of Flight hours 50/50 all log able taking the safety pilot route, hotels, car rental, etc, All in with airfare from Vancouver, food, car, hotel and about 50hrs of hour building and another 6hrs for the ATP I paid under $14K
  15. Thanks Hazy, I got enough bush time, working overseas and looking back now I wish I had done the IFR and Night in the US. I would have saved a bunch of money. The reason I want the FAA ATP is a few of the Canadians I work with have applied for jobs in Asia etc and now regret not getting the FAA. The FAA licence is much easier to deal with and preferred and easier to keep current overseas. Which can mean getting the job or not. My TC instrument has expired and no PPC for over a year.With the FAA in the country I work now I could keep it current every 6 months on our sim check rides.
  16. Thanks for the tips. I was planning on renting a Schweizer but may do the SFAR73 10hrs R22. Having the R22 opens up a lot more options and choices.
  17. I was wondering if anybody would be interested in splitting on the cost of hour building towards an FAA ATP. I need around 50-60 hours night and 25 simulated instrument. The flying would have to all be night/simulated instrument which requires a safety pilot so legally both pilots can log PIC under FAA Regs. To be legally allowed to fly FAA aircraft all that has to be done is fill out a form based on a commercial or private licence to get a FAA PPL based of a foreign licence which takes 30-90days and a flight review to validate the licence. No exams or flight test. To apply for the ATP licence it can also be based on a foreign Commercial with instrument rating, and another verification must be done for that application plus TSA approval and SEVIS registration. Right now I am looking in Washington state Bellingham area to do the hour building. But open to other areas.The flying would have to be done in May and looking at flying at least 4-5hrs per night. the cost of renting a helicopter is around $240-$300 p/hr. 50hrs PIC would cost Maximum $7500 per pilot. Anybody interested let me know.
  18. don't those ads look like part of a labour market opinion to get visas for foreign pilots? I got nothing against foreign pilots. I ve worked with a lot of decent guys, and working overseas myself. The only thing I disagree with is a few of these conpanies hiring on cheaper labour treating the foreigners better than locals giving the flying and flight hours$ to the foreigners over the local guys all because some of the foreigners have no life, families or commitments in Canada and are willing to work 6 months straight. This is what makes it difficult for the rest of the Canadian pilots and cuts into out salaries and life style.
  19. It depends on what office you deal with. Although I've had the best luck with Ontario trying to help out. Bc is useless. You get the cut back story then they tell u to file a complaint and they will submit it to the right people. Seems like a bit of a work to rule attitude. I almost lost over 10k while after 2 months of waiting for a rating overseas. I did file a Cairs as recommended by transport Canada and recommend an expedited process for people overseas or in need where the 90day privilege means nothing. I said I would be happy to pay $500 dollars for an expedited service rather than loose over 10k. They said they would have to change legislation. Then I applied to head office for my 412 endorsement after 2.5 months I called they then asked why I sent my application to head office. I replied because if I don't live in the country anymore the TC website says to send applications to head office. After 90 days of waiting I knew they hadn't completed it yet I didn't really need it anyway but I emailed them saying its been over 90 days as per there policy. They replied they would have to give me a restricted vfr 412 rating I then had to argue with multiple emails referring to and interpreting the cars so they would issue the lisence. Which in the end they did. So good luck to anyone who applies and needs a rating in less than 90 days. Helicopters seem to be a grey area to TC.
  20. I sent a CAIRS on this subject in June. Received no response by October so I emailed TC to enquire and they apologized and gave me a date I would have a response by. Again the date passed with no response so 1 week after the date I filled another CAIRS and finally got a response. At least they admit the COM's have caused confusion among pilots, operators, and transport Canada inspectors. So here is the official response I received for those interested. Dear Sir or Madam, Within the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR) where an obligation exists to log either “air time” and/or “flight time” they should be calculated in accordance with the meaning of those phrases within Subsection 101.01 (1) of the CAR. Subsection 101.01 (1) of the CAR states in part: Interpretation 101.01 (1) In these Regulations... “air time” “air time” means, with respect to keeping technical records, the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface until it comes into contact with the surface at the next point of landing; (temps dans les airs) “flight time” “flight time” means the time from the moment an aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight; (temps de vol) GA Policy Letter 2005-02 conflicted with the CAR and was canceled. The canceled Policy Letter content is invalid relative to this discussion. The generic Helicopter Company Operations Manuals (COM) provided by Transport Canada (TC) to helicopter air operators in the late 90s stated in part that: “…Flight time and Air time are the same for skid equipped helicopters; accordingly the recorded time shall be the same…” The statement is not always correct, and caused confusion and inconsistencies among helicopter pilots and operators, and Transport Canada Inspectors regarding the logging of Flight Time versus Air Time. This statement should be removed from all the COMs. The Transport Canada practice of making available Generic COM has been curtailed. Debating the intrinsic worth of these dated and flawed documents is of little value. Student pilots that aspire to acquire Commercial Helicopter Pilot licences must receive a minimum amount of training as per the CAR. It is illogical to imply that a student will have an epiphany somewhere between 99.9 and 100 hours there by attaining the proficiency to be a “Commercial Helicopter Pilot”. It is more likely that a student pilot will require more than the minimum amount of training to attain the required level of proficiency. The Pilot Proficiency Check (PPC) is the significant litmus test to verify that a student has acquired the required proficiency to be a “Commercial Helicopter Pilot”, rather than attaining the minimum amount of training (100 hours). The CAR obligation to complete “X” amount of “Flight time” or “Air Time”, as applicable, is the Minimum Standard. It shall be logged as per Subsection 101.01 (1) of the CAR. How an air operator or flight training unit is compensated by a “customer” for services may, or may not, equate to the CAR defined “Flight time” and “Air Time”, relative to the contractual agreement between the parties. The CAR does not state that commercial flying, or flight training shall be compensated at any rate, only that “Flight time” and “Air Time” shall be logged as per Subsection 101.01 (1) of the CAR. “Hobs meter” time should not be confused with CAR defined “Flight time” and “Air Time”. The meanings of “air time” and/or “flight time” within the CAR are applicable to all of Canadian Aviation, from the smallest aircraft to the largest aircraft. The flight characteristics of helicopters offer challenges for calculating “air time” and/or “flight time” relative to each operation. “...Accordingly, for flights where the skid equipped helicopter carries out a number of landings and take-offs during the conduct of operations, the air time “recording/logging” stops while the helicopter is resting on the ground. However, the flight time recording/logging shall continue with the pilot at the controls while the helicopter is resting on the ground. Both recording/logging stop with the last landing “at the end of the flight”. In such cases, air time will obviously be shorter than flight time. For flights where, following the initial take-off, the skid equipped helicopter proceeds without landing before its intended destination “at the end of the flight”, air time and flight time will be the same…” To minimize confusion and maximize clarity the unique aspects of each flight should be evaluated against the meanings of “Flight time” and “Air Time” as per Subsection 101.01 (1) of the CAR and logged accordingly. Thank you for your interest in Aviation safety. Best Regards Civil Aviation Inspector
  21. I would agree with you that the definition is definitely not black and white and left up to interpretations. But I would also define "flight" as every time you start and shut down and are required to fill out the journey logbook which could include multiple landings. Even fixed wing if you were to fly around to different airports on a training flights doing touch and goes or circuits it would be considered 1 flight until you complete full stop and shut down. But also I agree with Winnie's interpretations, and to support that argument I would say Transport Canada issues pilots licences regularly based on "flight time" in which most flight schools are not logging airtime for there students but some form of flight time, rotors turning, engine running, or however they may come up with flight time. But also Freewheel has dealt back and forth for the past almost 2 years and has letters stating that it is of TC opinion airtime and flight time are not the same. So I would lean more towards there should be a difference in the flight time and airtime for multiple landings. So here is a scenario 2 friends were told by 2 different companies they worked for that after the cancellation of the 2005-02 policy letter that all pilots are to log flight time the same as airtime in accordance with the companies operations manual for personal logbooks, and flight and duty limitations. Now the Transport Canada approved COM's state essentially flight time is equal to airtime for skid equipped helicopters. But is it legal. what if a pilot was timing out every tour logging essentially airtime and got in an accident. Would the pilot and company be liable for pilot fatigue and flying over the actual flight limitations and possibly interpreting the CARs wrong, or would transport be liable with the confusion they have caused? I have heard that flying over the flight and duty regulations can equal big fines for both pilot and operator.
  22. I think somewhere in the CARs in interpretations for flight time it sates "for the purpose of taking off" if I remember correct. So I guess from 2005-2011 when the 2005-02 policy letter was in effect. If during that ground run they pick the machine up into the air and then logged a 0.1 airtime every ground run they could log flight time, but I doubt the company they are working for would appreciate that much. Anyone know what has to be followed first the CARs or the Company ops manual if they contradict one another?
  • Create New...