Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Truth About Brian Jenner's Dismissal

Most hunting and fishing infractions are not covered under the criminal code, so they are not criminal offences, but that's semantics as far as I'm concerned. I like to use terms like "right" and "wrong".

From going on patrols and interventions with game wardens in the past, I've noticed how hunters and fishermen tend to have the attitude that when they get caught breaking the rules, they weren't really doing anything "bad", they just got caught breaking the rules... :blink: Kinda like getting a speeding ticket, as opposed to getting caught drunk driving (although to some...). <_< They figure they pay the fine and go on with their lives normally.

I don't know Mr. Jenner or any of the other people who got caught in this sting operation, but I suspect that this may be their view on the whole affair.

Unfortunately for Mr. Jenner, when one occupies a position such as the one he had, one must conduct their affairs in a manner that is beyond reproach. This is not only a question of projecting a proper image of the organisation, but people in Mr. Jenner's former position tend to make enemies over time, and when given the opportunity, those people will use this kind of transgression against them.

I have a question for Mr. Jenner: Do you really think that with everything that has transpired in this whole affair, that you could really just step back into your old job and that it would be business as usual ?

The way I see it, HAC took a PR hit when it didn't immediately react once the charges became public. Your suspension and subsequent dismissal was a belated attempt at damage control on the part of the board. Reintegrating you in your former position would make HAC lose any credibility it has left. The HAC boat is presently taking on water and listing badly. I think your getting back in the boat would just sink it altogether. What would be the point ? Or is this whole suit more about cutting a better severance package ?

I say this with no hard feelings to any party. I don't know Mr. Jenner or any of the other parties involved here. Just trying for an objective POV... :mellow:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of comments, opinions and discussions on what was right or wrong, and luckily we all have one or two, or this would die out pretty quick...

It seems to me, that if any helicopter pilot, (with maybe the exception of some of the "new ones" that haven't been taught yet) was asked by a hunter to either:

• fly us into camp
  • sling our meat out
  • or in any other way be associated with hunting

...we would say, "Sorry, no can do." We all know that the helicopter could be seized, perhaps license lost, and a whole world of hurt for ourselves and the company we work for.

Why is it then, that the (ex)President of HAC, and the others involved in the "hunting exercise" wouldn't know this as well?

Fact is, if we don't get caught with our hand in the cookie jar, there is no harm and no foul.

It's when we do get caught, that the problems start.

But I wonder, if they hadn't got caught, would the incident have still been reported as soon as they were out of the bush and able to do so...

Probably not..., but then I have been wrong plenty of times before.

I'm sorry Brian, no one forced you to participate in unethical use of a helicopter. When you accepted the position of HAC president you accepted the responsibility of upholding the moral and ethical standards of the industry you are representing. I find it disturbing that you think you have not done wrong. You play that you are not guilty simply because you did not directly participte. I'm pretty certain there were alota laughs over alot of beers as you "begged them to stop" while carrying their meat to the plane. You had many options availiable to you, you were participating in an illegal activity and I'm pretty certain as the leader of HAC if you said "stop or..." they would have stopped. At the very least you should have left the camp and informed the appropriate authorities of the actions carried out there. Taking a guilty plea to recover your friends aircraft and playing it as the moral highground is BS. He should have lost his aircraft and you should have been involved in helping him loose his aircraft. As for name dropping, I worked with Randy at a couple of organizations and I'm pretty sure he would have had nothing to do with the works of you if he witnessed that.

I hope you do bring HAC down with you, in the interest of civil aviation mabey Transport Canada should regulate operators.

I hope you do bring HAC down with you, in the interest of civil aviation mabey Transport Canada should regulate operators.

Bite your tongue....now..moving on

I only met Mr. Jenner once and he seemed like a decent enough chap. I also think whether one agrees or disagrees with the actions of HAC one could not argue that he was not instrumental in bring changes forward.

Having said that, I do think this situation is all about context. If the CEO or executive of lets say, Telus were in Mr. Jenner's situation I think it would be not nearly as much of an issue whereby if this Telus individual was caught in illegal activity that directly pertained to his or her career it would certainly be more of an issue. If Mr Jenner had been caught doing something that was not Helicopter related I think I could certainly forgive and forget but it would be difficult to see a situation whereby his credibility would not be questions should he be reinstated.

It would be like a police officer who was fined for drinking and driving operating a RIDE program a few months later or politician who made a racist comment or comments sitting on anit racism panel. We must never be quick to judge but I think in this case, this incident has seriously compromised Mr. Jenners ability to be a leader in this industry. Perhaps his hard works and knowledge could have been untilized in other capacities, who knows, that is far outside my knowledge base.

I will say though, I sure do get the feeling there are some out there jumping up and down and making full use of an individuals mistakes to settle some old grudges and that is unfortunate.

If Brian Jenner was dismissed contrary to the terms of his contract then by all means, things should be made to be fair but other then that, I don't see how reinstatement to the "head honcho" could ever be possible given the representative nature of that post.

Anyhow, in the big picture I really can't get all that excited about this kind of infraction (I am not a hunter and dont really get it anyways) so let us not turn a mistake in judgement into a capital crime warranting a lifetime of insult and ridicule. That would just be for the sake of settling old scores and to be honest....thats just boring.

I have a question for Mr. Jenner: Do you really think that with everything that has transpired in this whole affair, that you could really just step back into your old job and that it would be business as usual ?

mellow:

A lot of people are asking themselves how things went so far and what damage may yet to be suffered. I'm satisfied that I suffered enough and HAC too. My reintegration might be the best of two undesirable options. But in any case it is not up to me to decide wether we fight or regroup together. It's up to the HAC membership. If they decide enough is enough and ask me back I will accept. Their oppinion is the only oppinion that counts for me in that regard.

Mr Jenner,

May I respectfully suggest you are accomplishing very little by engaging in this 'debate,' or whatever you want to call it.

Judging by what has been written here, by you, you have done wrong. To what degree is not for me to say, as the other sides have not come to light, but you are damaging whatever reputation you have left in this thread.

There are people who want you absolved, there are people who want you hung, and the rest are either on the fence or indifferent, you're not helping your case here. I'm certain the "facts" will come out over time, through the proper channels, ie the courts, and we'll have an idea of what actually happened then, and only then.

AR

Brian,

You say this is now up to the membership to decide.....

So why are you threatening legal action in the Courts to get your job back?

Membership has already decided.

They elected directors to act on their behalf.

Those directors have acted.

You are right. This is not about moose meat anymore.

It is a sad affair, getting worse everyday, with no improvement in site.

Move on.

Stop embarrassing yourself, your good past work, HAC, and our industry.

Brian,

You say this is now up to the membership to decide.....

So why are you threatening legal action in the Courts to get your job back?

Membership has already decided.

They elected directors to act on their behalf.

Those directors have acted.

You are right. This is not about moose meat anymore.

It is a sad affair, getting worse everyday, with no improvement in site.

Move on.

Stop embarrassing yourself, your good past work, HAC, and our industry.

I don't know how many times someone on this forum invited me to react to comments, but it was often. I am now free to do so and you want me to shut up. Moreover you expect me to take a million dollars hit for the gang. I have demanded my job back because it is a necessary legal nicety. I have offered to take it back because it is the better of two bad alternatives.

I have admitted my faults and paid my due to society. I do not feel the least bit embarrased about defending my own interests or about offering a compromise that will minimise damage to evryone..