Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Air Pockets?

Ever had anyone ask you what an air pocket is?

You know, there you are at a party, and someone hears you are a pilot. So after you get over the usual schpiel about no I'm not an airline pilot, yes I want to be one...yes I have to build up my hours up north/wherever...then they tell you about this one time a pilot flew them into TSTMS with lightening all over...and "air pockets". Woooooaaaaaaaeeee!

So there I am, over christmas dinner, trying to explain to my aunt about this phenomenon of "pockets" of empty space that just roam around (buuaaa haa haaaaa) looking for unsuspecting airplanes, (ha ha ha ha ).

Actually I tried to explain convective, mechanical, CAT, and Lee WV, eventually her eyes glazed over, and she started agreeing to whatever I said, obviously I lost here somewhere along the way...

Next time I'mm gonna tell them that air pockets are marauding areas of vaccum that rome the atmosphere looking for unsuspecting airliners... :lol: cj