Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Places In Canada To Avoid!

I'd like to throw in: Inuvik,NT, . :mellow:

Inuvik was great when the Mad Trapper and Zoo were still in existence. I understand the Mackenzie Hotel (zoo) has been torn down in the past few years & the MT burnt down a while ago.

When the Mackenzie Delta was in full swing with seismic and drilling by some of the big operators - Shell, Esso, Gulf, Dome etc. It was the place to be.

A good camp in the 70s up there was Swimming Point (Gulf)

GW

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Inuvik right now. The Trapper is still in existance I've had a couple fun times there. There is a new Mackenzie hotel and its actually quite nice and a good place to watch the game and catch a decent meal. My hotel room is at the capital suits and I would say its one of the nicest places I've stayed so far. I dont mind Inuvik at all.

I'm in Inuvik right now. The Trapper is still in existance I've had a couple fun times there. There is a new Mackenzie hotel and its actually quite nice and a good place to watch the game and catch a decent meal. My hotel room is at the capital suits and I would say its one of the nicest places I've stayed so far. I dont mind Inuvik at all.

Ya, I agree with Freefall. Ill go to Inuvik anytime for sure! Norman Wells too, gotta love a town with a little bar and a big bar right across from each other! I think the seismic days might be making a comeback in the Mackenzie in the near future...

As for a hole I hope to never see again... Baker Lake, NT.

Of course Inuvik also has the riding academy :punk:

Is it still the original MT- just across frrom the Eskimo Inn?

GW

Where did you stay? when I was there it was the Holiday Inn in Nandi. The thing that got my attention was the size of the fricken rats in the hallway to the dining room.

Oops my bad, the HI was in Juhu Beach. I was in Nadi Fiji earlier that year on vacation.

Leismer, AFS Fire Base, for that matter, any AFS Fire Base or camp!

Buffalo Narrows, La Loche, Isle la Cross, Sask.

Inuvik, NWT. in June, never seen bugs that bad, except in Colville Lake.

Igloolik, NWT. in april, winter never ends.

Someone was in caramat besides me...you must have been in that s@&T HOLE when I was there...and armpit started to look good after they kicked us out of town and stuck us all in an atco trailer in the middle of bum%&ck nowhere...and just for fun the safety man from dnr cut the hydro...unsafe...can't have lights on in here...dangerous...oh and can you guys do your flight reports NOW in the dark and hand them in before you call it a night as we don't want that paperwork falling behind now do we...that was the end of that ....I pulled a few favours owed from friends with omnr and was on my way home the next day..good by :down:

Yeah. Caramat was awesome. :down: I was there on "values protection" (what value?) a few years back with Abitibi. They had us staying in this not-even-fit-for-a-meth-lab shack across the street from the community hall. It smelled so bad myself and the pilot just decided to drive to Long Lac every night on our own dime. We couldn't take it.

It's the only place I've worked far enough north for the 24 hour daylight scenario. It screwed with me big time - might have had something to do with my dislike. I also couldn't help but notice that 24 hour daylight + multiple aircraft with inspections due + no other mechanical help seemed to be the perfect storm for unpleasantly high company expectations. ;) The hotel I stayed in was scheduled for demolition (no lie) as well. Didn't seem like any "Capital Suites" type of operation.

I couldn't wait to leave. :(

hey cambox...gods lake was one of the best as was the hydro camp at kelsey...never did much time at jenpeg except during freeze up...and as far as colville lake now there was a s%*it hole...only the bugs couldn't live long when I was there...its was -45C for almost a month..got stuck overnight in pukatobagan once and lived to tell the story...we got called out late on a fridaynight from thompson to go to a train derailment just south of puk...three helicopters to ferry passengers to puk..about 20 miles and I said so were the f&*k do you think we are going to end up for the night..oh you can stay at some construction trailers that were there as they were building a new septic system ...I was all set to bug out to flinflon for the night but we could see a major thunderstorm between puk and flinflon..so i tell the other guys we can park the aircraft at the dnr base as it is fenced off from the town and maybe we won't have 3 trashed machines in the morning...so we park and start hiking down the road to our digs..we were only threatened with death 3 or four times until the town rcmp shows up and with this astonished look on his face as if to say...are you guys f^%king nuts coming to this town tonight...it was a full moon and everyone in the place was hammered....oh I forgot to say that all are passengers were also hammered and to add insult to injury they pissed on the seats of the helicopter on their ride home...anyways we survived the night and I made sure we were up at 5 in the a:m and we rattled a few windows doing a low and fast departure...never been back and never will go there again...pottsy

Oops my bad, the HI was in Juhu Beach. I was in Nadi Fiji earlier that year on vacation.

Stayed in a few places at Juhu Beach. The names escape me right now. All first class until you step out the door. Kind of makes you change your perspective on things back home here!