Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Places In Canada To Avoid!

Bent Horn, Cameron Island, NWT you were issued one black bag a week to crap in ,which you had to put into a 5 gal bucket, that was kept behind a an old grey army blacket in the corner. As soon as you were finished your business, you would quickly tie the top up and put it out side on the rails of the sled you slept in, the bed would be best discribed as an open coffin, there were six people sleeping in an area maybe best for two. Beds stacked three high, when you slid into the bunk there was not enough room for you to even lay on your side, as the bunk above you was that low. I was there just short of three weeks before I knew that the cook was female, she never had the hood of here parka down while cooking, plus she handed out the black bags.When you had a coffee or tea you always had a rainbow on top as they used the same truck for hauling water for the camp as they used for hauling the fuel for the camp.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the worst place of all but Chetwynd has to be the most "interesting" experience I've had in a while... Let me set the scene here for you fellers... It's around 2:30 AM the night after a HUGE bar fight had pretty much destroyed the local watering hole, when I wake up to "BANG BANG"... So I stumble out the door of the ol' Stagecoach hotel, then turn around and go back in thinking it may not be such a good idea to go see what goes on... In the morning all the seismic crew are standing around chatting away like a bunch of excited chickens in a chicken coop about the gunshots last night. Turns out some lady had set up a drug outlet in one of the hotel rooms, p***ed off a couple thugs from Ft. St. John then skipped town but left her car in the parking lot of the hotel. Well these guys came to get even! They saw her ride sitting in the parking lot and figured she was still there so they wandered up to her room and fired two rounds through the window into the bed. They had no idea, or didn't care, that she wasn't there no more and instead a juggy was in the room who for some reason chose the other bed to sleep on. Then they proceeded to the parking lot and busted out the windows of the Mrs's car, which by the way was parked between a whole schwack of new Polaris Explorer vans, and dumped a few gallons of gas in there. They were about to light it when someone from the hotel was out and about and scared them off. The most amazing part of the whole episode was that the dude who was in the room where they fired their shots into slept through the whole affair, then in the morning he's sitting there scratching his (insert applicable body part here) wondering why his window was busted out. The Police didn't show up till after we all left for the day! They did, from what I hear, catch the shooters later on that day, but not sure what eventually happened to them. That's my fondest memory of Chetwynd. Sorry about the long post... I'll get off the soap box now.

Later!

Guest Bullet Remington
Stu Bl****on's camps near Ekati. But bless his "frugal" soul, he gave a bunch of us our first flying jobs, though I hear that one guy never flew again and became a dentist... Probably the smart one!

D!ck

Geez, there's a name I thought i'd never see on this site.

By the way, anybody want to buy a R22? I have a lein on that machine. Got all the records if anybody wants to see them!! :down:

Oh and the last one left to become a computer weenie, somewhere South of the border.

Guest BeeBee

Are you guys reading what you're saying here? It seems like you wear these experiences as some sorta badge of honour. And look at the list of places....it goes on and on. Not just a couple of places but MOST of the places you get sent to ...again and again. Why do you guys keep putting up with such aweful accomodation? When a few of us start REFUSING to be put up in those sh*t holes maybe some of the operators will take notice and start treating us like the highly skilled professionals we are....we are aren't we? Sure doesn't feel like it. F#@K'n drillers make more money and you can be sure if their accomodations aren't just so-so then they are compensated for the inconvenience or strike the location. What is it about this industry...or is it the people in it ??

"I just love the fly'n....hate the job"

Are you guys reading what you're saying here? It seems like you wear these experiences as some sorta badge of honour. And look at the list of places....it goes on and on. Not just a couple of places but MOST of the places you get sent to ...again and again. Why do you guys keep putting up with such aweful accomodation? When a few of us start REFUSING to be put up in those sh*t holes maybe some of the operators will take notice and start treating us like the highly skilled professionals we are....we are aren't we? Sure doesn't feel like it. F#@K'n drillers make more money and you can be sure if their accomodations aren't just so-so then they are compensated for the inconvenience or strike the location. What is it about this industry...or is it the people in it ??

"I just love the fly'n....hate the job"

I always hate when somebody mentions the welders or the drillers or the whoevers make more money than the pilot does. Well I've done both and I'll take the right seat anyday as opposed to trippin pipe for 16 hours in -40 with my oil drenched coveralls frozen to my a$$. I don't make what they do but I get along just fine on my salary and unlike the majority of those guys, I love my job and I'll put up with the bit of crap that comes my way. Any chosen career has its pros & cons and flying is no different. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers :)

I always hate when somebody mentions the welders or the drillers or the whoevers make more money than the pilot does. Well I've done both and I'll take the right seat anyday as opposed to trippin pipe for 16 hours in -40 with my oil drenched coveralls frozen to my a$$. I don't make what they do but I get along just fine on my salary and unlike the majority of those guys, I love my job and I'll put up with the bit of crap that comes my way. Any chosen career has its pros & cons and flying is no different. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers :)

Been there, done that too. Well said and couldn't agree more. ****, I haven't even had frostbite since I started flying full time! LOL. Not to mention, for some unkown reason my knees don't seem to hurt as much either...imagine that! :rolleyes:

Posts from:

BeeBee, Zazu and the boy from the Granite Planet (Isa de By), I couldn't agree more. It's the same as hitting your head against the wall, feels good when you stop.

I could be wrong here, but didn't AB Forestry have a problem with their camps a few years back and there was a slight revolution.

I hope all you guys have noticed that nobody from the "Owners Club" cares about your living conditions, they sent you there in the first place.

Minimum Standards for living conditions have been set since the "Stone Age", why are they not applied here, i.e. exploration camps. The reason is quite simple, adequate living conditions takes budget money away from actual exploration that is being funded by some company or government or shareholders.

There is only one thing stopping anybody or helicopter company from accepting below standard living conditions is, the almighty dollar.

I can remember being at "Hall Beach" during construction of the "Dew Line" living in an excellent tent with wooden floor, shower and wash tent and a large eating tent for a couple of hundred people and a large sign that said,

"Please eat all the food that you take and seconds if you wish, it costs more to transport it here than the cost of the food"

There is no reason in this day and age for a engineer/pilot to be put in a position of having to live in below acceptable living conditions.

As far as fire's are concerned, most are near hotels or reasonable living accommodations, if not they are probably not worth fighting anyhow.

I can also remember when GSC used to think the engineer assigned to the helicopter had a responsibility to help around the camp, go figure.

When ever you guys wake up, maybe we can do something about it.

Don McDougall

HEPAC