Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206 Flying Low Around Invermere - Anyone Here?

Howdy y'all...

At least once last week and again this morning, I watched a blue and white 206 doing slow and low circles around the Athalmer bridge in Invermere. Looked like someone was hanging out the left side (taking photos?).

Just curious if it's anyone here...

Cheers,

Darren

Only 4-1/2 months 'til flight school!

BC hydro doing line patrol up and down the trench, low and slow

Wow I didn't even know there was hydro down there (and I live in Athalmer!). If it's line patrol, they're after something particular, 'cause they were really low (they had to fly *up* to be level with the airport/Eagle Ranch benchland), and circling the same spot just north of the Athalmer bridge - several times.

Nice day for it, anyways... :D

Confirmed, BC Hydro Line Patrol.

probably falls under 602.15 (1) f

CARS

Minimum Altitudes and Distances

602.14 (1) [Repealed]

(amended 2003/03/01; previous version)

(2) Except where conducting a take-off, approach or landing or where permitted under section 602.15, no person shall operate an aircraft

( a ) over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons unless the aircraft is operated at an altitude from which, in the event of an emergency necessitating an immediate landing, it would be possible to land the aircraft without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface, and, in any case, at an altitude that is not lower than

(i) for aeroplanes, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 2,000 feet from the aeroplane,

(ii) for balloons, 500 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the balloon, or

(iii) for an aircraft other than an aeroplane or a balloon, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the aircraft; and

( b ) in circumstances other than those referred to in paragraph (a), at a distance less than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

Permissible Low Altitude Flight

602.15 (1) A person may operate an aircraft at altitudes and distances less than those specified in subsection 602.14(2) where the aircraft is operated at altitudes and distances that are no less than necessary for the purposes of the operation in which the aircraft is engaged, the aircraft is operated without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface and the aircraft is operated

(a) for the purpose of a police operation that is conducted in the service of a police authority;

( b ) for the purpose of saving human life;

( c ) for fire-fighting or air ambulance operations;

(d) for the purpose of the administration of the Fisheries Act or the Coastal Fisheries Protection Act;

(e) for the purpose of the administration of the national or provincial parks; or

(f) for the purpose of flight inspection.

They have to inspect all the way to Golden and back to Cranbrook

Bet that's a nice flight. Then again, I reckon any flight's a nice flight.

Y'know, now that I look closer, I can see those hydro lines from my house :wacko: .

As for the crops - that'd be pretty gutsy growing them down there - canoers and kayakers aplenty. Hmm, maybe the crops belong to the kayakers :P

Thanks, all!