Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Syncrude Security

While Flying to work the other day, Stony Plain to Albian Sands (Shell) -Fort MIC no where . I always fly over a couple of Syncrude tailings ponds, I always make a radio call when coming up to Mildred lake with no trouble. This time Syncrude security radio's back and asks me if I have authorization to fly over the tailings pond. I told them over the air that I don't require prior permission to fly over at any altitude, because It's not a built area, with no body in sight. She ask me the call sign of my helicopter, And I just responded R44 helicopter green Peace. I did answer back in a smart *** manor, was I wrong or are they just paranoid about killing 500 duck in I shot. And not wanting to get any more bad publicity.

Helilog

Guest who's yer daddy

WHAT???

Since when does Syncrude control Canadian Airspace?

You answered back much more polite than I would have!!!

Thats too funny, they sound as bad as those guys at Galore Creek, They tried telling me that No One is allowed to fly around there without there permission, HA. Then i was told it had a Notam, thats when it got really funny, cause the Notam was an advisory of heavy traffic not a restriction.haahhahaha sounds like them and syncrude should join forces :P

While Flying to work the other day, Stony Plain to Albian Sands (Shell) -Fort MIC no where . I always fly over a couple of Syncrude tailings ponds, I always make a radio call when coming up to Mildred lake with no trouble. This time Syncrude security radio's back and asks me if I have authorization to fly over the tailings pond. I told them over the air that I don't require prior permission to fly over at any altitude, because It's not a built area, with no body in sight. She ask me the call sign of my helicopter, And I just responded R44 helicopter green Peace. I did answer back in a smart *** manor, was I wrong or are they just paranoid about killing 500 duck in I shot. And not wanting to get any more bad publicity.

Helilog

Good thing you didn't include my brother Paul's name in the conversation B)

Unless it's class F airspace or notamed you are legal at 5 feel over the tailings pond, over the plant they have an argument, a lot of people down there. But how can you fly past and not have a peek, that place is like a special addition of monster machines. My son is a Fire fighter and EMT out there, you should see the trucks he gets to play with.

I want to start a new rumor!!! psst Helilog is flying a Robinson, no kidding, a friend of mine was flying out of ft mack and heard him on the radio, Syncrude tower this is r-44 heavy :lol: , but with that bad attitude its no wonder he was demoted.:punk: .

Rob

Who's Paul? I don't know Paul, do I? Fill me in Gary you lost me, The only Paul I know runs the helicopter training co. in Spring bank.

I have a warped sence of humor so I fit in well here, just like the rest of you, I love my helicopter but it will never love me, and it's been tring to kill me ever since I got it.

I never fly directly over the plants, too much pollution, it would probably knock me out or kill that Lycoming beast I have keeping me aloft.

Helilog

Helilog

Hey buddy glad you got home safe and sound. Stop in at the hanger when you get back up here to the far north.

204B Driver

A warped (and very wide) sense of humour is useful around here.

Paul Watson (he may really be Gary's brother, who knows) is one of the world's most active eco-activists. He is always fighting for baby seals and dead ducks around our planet.

Helilog (R44 pilot) is not to be confused with Helilog56 (Sikorsky 64 pilot).

.......as far as the comments about being legal 5 feet over a tailings pond......

602.01 No person shall operate an aircraft in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger the life or property of any person.

702.20 No air operator shall, except when conducting a take-off or landing, operate a land aircraft over water, beyond a point where the land aircraft could reach shore in the event of an engine failure......

Fly safe, fly smart.

OT