Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tough Toe-in

Alright, offense taken. I'm a military driver who flies a CH146. First of all, the only unit close to Whistler is in Edmonton, and I can count on 1 hand the number of times we've been there, so to say it is "pretty routine" would be a gross over-estimation. Second, we have 1 "spotter" and he normally shuts up for routine landings... don't worry boys, we can land our helicopters on a parking spot the first time without a spotter! Crazy, I know. I personally have never seen anyone take more than one try at putting a machine on a pad. You don't think we practice landing? Not saying a mulitple attempt hasn't been done, but to stereotype like that is ridiculous. Third, it is not confusing to use our Flight Engineer to con us to a confined area or any other LZ, it is how we operate. Sure, we don't long line, but we do NVG formation flights in winter where not only are you dealing with your snow ball, but the rest of the formations as well. We conduct rappel with the infantry, where holding a 200' hover is mandatory to allow the boys to get in safely... amongst many other demanding tasks, much like anyone who flies any helicopter can attest to.

Why do people think that because we are in the military we are different pilots? I could easily be flying for Canadian right now doing the civilian job, but I joined the military. Doesn't make me any less of a pilot. We operate differently because we have to. I have a very high level of respect for civilian operators, flying any helicopter is a tough job.

Thanks for missing my point. Did I not say that I thought the pilot might do better without the "help"? Sorry, if a guy can't hit that pad in less than 4 tries....well you can draw your own conclusions. We all know how unstable the 412 is. :unsure: You are correct...it's not quite "routine" but I have seen the same thing in a few other places I've been as well....maybe not "routine" but at least "repeatedly". I'm sure you fly the helicopter just fine.

Alright, offense taken. I'm a military driver who flies a CH146. First of all, the only unit close to Whistler is in Edmonton, and I can count on 1 hand the number of times we've been there, so to say it is "pretty routine" would be a gross over-estimation. Second, we have 1 "spotter" and he normally shuts up for routine landings... don't worry boys, we can land our helicopters on a parking spot the first time without a spotter! Crazy, I know. I personally have never seen anyone take more than one try at putting a machine on a pad. You don't think we practice landing? Not saying a mulitple attempt hasn't been done, but to stereotype like that is ridiculous. Third, it is not confusing to use our Flight Engineer to con us to a confined area or any other LZ, it is how we operate. Sure, we don't long line, but we do NVG formation flights in winter where not only are you dealing with your snow ball, but the rest of the formations as well. We conduct rappel with the infantry, where holding a 200' hover is mandatory to allow the boys to get in safely... amongst many other demanding tasks, much like anyone who flies any helicopter can attest to.

Why do people think that because we are in the military we are different pilots? I could easily be flying for Canadian right now doing the civilian job, but I joined the military. Doesn't make me any less of a pilot. We operate differently because we have to. I have a very high level of respect for civilian operators, flying any helicopter is a tough job.

Hook Line and Sinker,

Took it all!

Rise above it!!!! If you believe so.:wacko: :rant: :stupid: