Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mp3 Adapter

Anyone use the mp3 adapter from merit apparel? Is it any good?

Hey MEOB

I picked one up last year and use it all the time with my Ipod, works great. And although it's a bit noisy for the person you are calling, I've never had a hard time hearing while using my cell phone with it.

Keep in mind it doesn't cut off when you are receiving radio transmissions, but on those long solo X-country's through no man's land who cares!

So it doesn't cut out but can you adjust the volume so you still have no trouble hearing the radios. I just push the ear buds behind my ears now and have no trouble hearing the radios or what the machine is doing just gets a little uncomfortable after a while.

You may wish to consult your C.O.M. regarding the use of MP3 players during flight, especially if your model is designed to emit fm radio signals for use with car radios that do not have an aux input or old-style cassette deck with the input adapter.

To quote our company ops manual:

Use of the following portable electronic devices on-board a helicopter in flight is prohibited:

--portable two-way radios

--cellular phones

--mobile satellite service handsets

--personal communications devices

--any transmitting device that intentionally radiates radio frequency signals

Other devices may be used except during takeoff, climb, approach and landing, provided the PIC establishes before takeoff that the device does not interfere with any aircraft systems. Such devices include, but are not limited to:

--audio or video recorders

--audio or video playback devices

--electronic entertainment devices

--computers

--calculators

--fm receivers

It would be awfully bloody embarrassing to get one of those letters in the mail from TC where approach/departure procedures were done incorrectly because you were listening to Justin Timberlake and missed a radio transmission from the tower. Actually, listening to JT would be embarrassing, period.

On a more serious note, two of our aircraft have been involved in near-miss mid-air collissions in recent months due to "the other guys" not being dialed to the the correct radio frequency or being complacent and using local jargon (i.e. names of heli-ski runs) instead of proper geographical references. Through SMS, we are currently studying the "why's" and "how's", and one possible contributor to this problem is the use of ipods and mp3 players in the cockpit.

Food for thought...

Nothing in our COM about any of that stuff. And I personally have never had any associated problems with anyone using a two way radio, FM or the cheep little personal ones from wally world or a cell phone while in flight. I don't know what kind of flying you do or machines you guys are running but for us and our gear the only difference in takeoff, landing and cruse is the power settings, so Iam not sure why that would make a difference.If pilots are listing to JT loud enough to cover radio transmissions from the tower or from other aircraft maby they don't have the little bit of common sense it takes to pilot an aircraft in the first place. And as for being a distraction I guess that personal preference. Theres also the time and place factor that comes into affect. Just my thoughts, be interesting to hear whats in other peoples COM.

You may wish to consult your C.O.M. regarding the use of MP3 players during flight, especially if your model is designed to emit fm radio signals for use with car radios that do not have an aux input or old-style cassette deck with the input adapter.

To quote our company ops manual:

Use of the following portable electronic devices on-board a helicopter in flight is prohibited:

--portable two-way radios

--cellular phones

--mobile satellite service handsets

--personal communications devices

--any transmitting device that intentionally radiates radio frequency signals

Other devices may be used except during takeoff, climb, approach and landing, provided the PIC establishes before takeoff that the device does not interfere with any aircraft systems. Such devices include, but are not limited to:

--audio or video recorders

--audio or video playback devices

--electronic entertainment devices

--computers

--calculators

--fm receivers

It would be awfully bloody embarrassing to get one of those letters in the mail from TC where approach/departure procedures were done incorrectly because you were listening to Justin Timberlake and missed a radio transmission from the tower. Actually, listening to JT would be embarrassing, period.

On a more serious note, two of our aircraft have been involved in near-miss mid-air collissions in recent months due to "the other guys" not being dialed to the the correct radio frequency or being complacent and using local jargon (i.e. names of heli-ski runs) instead of proper geographical references. Through SMS, we are currently studying the "why's" and "how's", and one possible contributor to this problem is the use of ipods and mp3 players in the cockpit.

Food for thought...

I think this is the kind of thing you'll find in ops manuals of companies flying IFR Scheduled stuff (ie HeliJet, Cougar, CHC, VIH, etc.). Never seen any such reference in any VFR ops manual.

Btw, I read somewhere recently that in Europe, people will soon be able to use all their goodies on commuter flights (cell phones, pda's, Blackberries, etc.). I sometimes ask my pax to turn off their cells and Blackberries due to the annoying interference in the intercom when they receive an SMA or e-mail. Not something that would be a significant risk to the flight, but imagine an Airbus A380 with 800 people all with Blackberries receiving e-mail in flight... :shock: Poor crew would go batty !!! :lol: