Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Another Bird Down

Guest BeeBee

My concern is that the real cause of many of these accidents is not being addressed. Many could be avoided.

Is it training, lack of pilot qualifications, training, poor maintenance, training disconnected/unhappy/frustrated pilots, training and dare I say APATHY. Something is wrong and all the "we can do better" articles published by transport don't seem to be stopping recurring headlines....."Helicopter Crash In ********" or the ever popular "Another Bird Down" WTF !!! We aren't truck drivers, even though some operators would disagree, and when we make a mistake it is usually fatal. That seems to be the only time we get a little emotion showing!!!!!!

But, it has been ever thus and I suspect it isn't going to change too soon here in Canada.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMS is coming someday, that will solve everything.

NOT!

See it time and time again, not pointing fingers at anyone. When parts AKA "BEARINGS" are close to beyond allowable limits they remain in service because OWNERS are to cheap to buy new ones. "GOOD FOR ANOTHER FLIGHT" "CAME IN SERVICABLE, ITS GOOD" famous quotes.

Until the people who fix "NEW AMES" and those that fly these birds stand a ground and refuse to sign out the work there will be alot of RISK involved.

SMS is coming someday, that will solve everything.

NOT!

See it time and time again, not pointing fingers at anyone. When parts AKA "BEARINGS" are close to beyond allowable limits they remain in service because OWNERS are to cheap to buy new ones. "GOOD FOR ANOTHER FLIGHT" "CAME IN SERVICABLE, ITS GOOD" famous quotes.

Until the people who fix "NEW AMES" and those that fly these birds stand a ground and refuse to sign out the work there will be allot of RISK involved.

On behalf of HEPAC I would like to extend sincere condolences to all involved and their families.

SMS according to what I submitted to TCCA will not eradicate the problem, but it will certainly give crews a better control of everything you are referring to. Read in the news section of HEPAC.ORG under proposal to TCCA.

If that policy does not give the Engineers & Pilots more control over their well being, what will???

Safety starts from the crew and is maintained by the crew.

Don

PS: This not a sales pitch or propoganda for HEPAC, but a reality check.

It is sad to think, that at a time of loss, there are people that more interested in projecting their very narrow minded view(s), as opposed to showing concern for those injured and killed.

My sincere condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of the deceased...... well wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery to the pilot.

Kudos to Mr Morrison, who selflessly risked his own life to pull the injured pilot from the wreckage, and tried in vain to rescue Alvin.......a true hero indeed.

Best wishes to all at Great Slave, we're pulling for you guys/gals.....and safe flying out there all.

Bob Kellie

Getting a little speculative here.....time to chill out on what happened.

Why's that?

It's what we do, speculate on causes of things, ranging from company buy outs to accidents. I have no idea why some people are so threatened by speculation. As long as it's not malicious, what's the problem?

Nobody seemed to have an issue with Mr Jenner's situation, or the prospective buy out of VIH last year...

It's sad accident to be sure, just like they all are, but speculating on causes is a way we all deal with these things.

AR

My concern is that the real cause of many of these accidents is not being addressed. Many could be avoided.

Is it training, lack of pilot qualifications, training, poor maintenance, training disconnected/unhappy/frustrated pilots, training and dare I say APATHY. Something is wrong and all the "we can do better" articles published by transport don't seem to be stopping recurring headlines....."Helicopter Crash In ********" or the ever popular "Another Bird Down" WTF !!! We aren't truck drivers, even though some operators would disagree, and when we make a mistake it is usually fatal. That seems to be the only time we get a little emotion showing!!!!!!

But, it has been ever thus and I suspect it isn't going to change too soon here in Canada.

Hey BeeBee

There's a time and place for everything friend, and this is neither that time or place. You don't know the first thing about what happened out there, none of us do. So why not try a little respect and professionalism and reserve comment & speculation till all the facts are in.

You refer to training 4 times in your rant, to me this implies you already know that this was somehow pilot error. Why is it that pilots are so quick to turn on their own when something goes wrong, aren't we all in this together?

I've been with several companies over the years, and the fact that I'm currently with Great Slave has no bearing on my opinion that pilots here (GSH) are exposed to some of the best training this industry has to offer, bar none!

To imply otherwise before you know any of the facts is not only insulting, it's just ignorant.

A big thank you to all the people who had positive and encouraging feedback to offer, you are all TRUE professionals and it is appreciated. To those who have nothing but B.S comments and insinuations to offer please PM me with your phone number, I will be sure to make the time to call you and let you know what an A**Hole you are.

Bizzo