Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Compressor Rinse/wash

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone please run me through these two procedures esp. the Rinse as this is a Pilot one. I am about to start flying a Jet Ranger and want to have a bit of extra knowlege.

Thanks for you time.

Depends where you fly. Unless you fly over the salted water or in smoke, I would say you don't need to rinse anything. Most of the time we operate in dusty environnement and the compressor get sand blasted. I've worked 12 years around 206s, never seen improvement on engine performance after a wash. On the other hand, you get damage the engine by getting liquid where there should not be.

DZdude, Could you tell me how you do one. That's what I need to know I watched a WASH and it seemed complicated. What is involved in a rinse. I know I will be trained before I do one but I would like to know how it is done, what are the benifets, what can you do wrong and How will it affect the machine(I noticed on the wash things were bunged up etc.) Thanks for you reply

DZdude, Could you tell me how you do one. That's what I need to know I watched a WASH and it seemed complicated. What is involved in a rinse. I know I will be trained before I do one but I would like to know how it is done, what are the benifets, what can you do wrong and How will it affect the machine(I noticed on the wash things were bunged up etc.) Thanks for you reply

Here a copy of the Allson 250 M.M. you will find all your anwsers

Allison_250_comp._rinse.doc

:unsure:

I've never done a compressor rinse or wash on my own. With the tasks detailed in the MM, I'd be surprised if any operator would include that in elementary tasks.

As a pilot, my involvement in a compressor wash is to help the AME remove the cowl and particle separator and then sit in the pilot's seat and motor the engine while keeping it below 10% N1. Listen to the engineer... :rolleyes:

and listen for the tell tale sign of getting the garden sprayer nozzle too close to the blades..... :punk:

I heard that one several hangers down when i was in high level a few years back.....ouch!

To be truthful, that was probably the only time any appreciable improvement in performance was noted after a compressor wash. The fact the compressor had to be changed might have had something to do with it though :rolleyes:

CAR 625 appendix C

This is the list of tasks that may be included as elementary maintenance.

If you don't see compressor washes or compressor rinses on there, it is NOT elementary maintenance and therefor must only be performed by an appropriately qualified AME.

cheers,

RTR

As a pilot you will not be doing a compressor wash...if this stuff interestes you 3 years in a maintenance college and write all the exames and then fill your boots...nothing worst than someone ...ie the pilot telling the wrench how to do maintenance...oh I have been a p/e for over 25 years and I will tell you that your best bet is to help take the cowls off and then go away til you are called for..imho :punk: ...reminds me off a story..a good buddy who is a wrench with over 35 years experience goes out to do some work on a 204 as the pilot says she won't start..he gets there and not only are all the cowlings off but parts of the engine are also off..you can guess the outcome of that mess....remember that one o'toolley

Even if it was on the elementary list, if you work for an aircarrier you cannot do it unless you have been trained to do so. Most of the items on the elementary list in the CARs was written for General Aviation guys who fly a little here and a little their and don't want tho get an AME to replace a seat belt or change a light bulb. If you read 625Appendix A you will notice that a lot of them say on a small privatly owned aircraft.