Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Compressor Rinse/wash

enlighten me then, please tell me other things you do, other than hook up the nozzle (of whatever fluid you're using) and have someone else push the button. I really want to see if all the bases were covered with you... Something tells me they were not.

You guys are to EASY to get going! :lol:

Since when is it a concern of yours, as to whether my training was up to speed?

Are you sure those are the only steps required for a compressor wash? Better double check the maintenance manu.....oh yeah, right.....busted! :lol:

What ever :lol:

Once again, reading more into the post than was said, that was just answering Elvis's "accidental start" question.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my concern? at this moment it really isn't.....but the next guy flying it might have some issues...heck even TC might have some issues with it....

you're obviously trying to stir the pot and/or avoid the question, so I think I'll wave my BS flag and call it a day.

You're engineer is a tool if he thinks it's ok to let you do compressor washes. tell him to get off his a$$ and do what he's paid to do....

short list for your perusal applicable to the 500.....PC air line, Bleed valve, drain valve, starter limits, max N1, wash and rinse duration...hope those all ring a bell during your training....there's more too if you like. I'm sure every profesional engineer can point out a few more.

Bottom line here is this:

Compressor rinses / washes are not eligible as Elementary Maintenance. It doesn't appear on the list of tasks deemed as elementary maintenance by TC.

If you, as a pilot, are carrying out compressor rinses or washes on your own, you are in violation of CARS. Regardless of what your company has "authorized" or "trained" you to do, your company doesn't have the legal ability or authority to allow you to carry out this maintenance action.

Compressor rinses / washes require a Maintenance Release to appear in the journey log. Only appropriately qualified A.M.E.'s may sign a maintenance release for a commercially operated aircraft.

Go buy yer engineers a beer, they are earning it.

RTR

Ok Ok

I have had my little bit of fun.

Yes I did do compressor washes, but as I said it was with previous employers, and those companies are not in Canada, so there are different rules applying there. We didn't have an engineer employed by the company, we out sourced the maintenance like most of the other small companies. Once we were checked off to perform the wash by the engineer we were allowed to do them our selves.

Yes, I am aware of the steps, one 500 we had, had two we taps on the pc lines that you turned off so was easy, you didn't need to remove the line while doing the wash. Also had a switch in the engine bay for the igniter. We had 7 steps to remember so as to not leave anything turned off or left in eg bleed valve wedge.

Zok was one type of cleaner we used, was another one also but can't recall the name.

The astar was easier, rag over the bleed valve vent to stop the mess, pump connected to the installed nozzle, rotor brake on, hit the crank button and pump the product until a a measured amount was used, let it sit, then rinse with water, then run to dry it out.

That was basically it, but yes, sorry, I have never done it in Canada......but you never asked.

This is why AME schools now teach the blank stare response to all pilot questions pertaining to maintenance. I like to pretend my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. Allthough I respect pilots and the jobs they do, there is always one guy who will take the info you gave him, misconstrue it, and screw something up, then say who he got the info from, and you're really in it then. leave the flying to the trained and licensed flyers and the fixing to the trained and licensed fixers.

This is why AME schools now teach the blank stare response to all pilot questions pertaining to maintenance. I like to pretend my cell phone vibrated in my pocket. Allthough I respect pilots and the jobs they do, there is always one guy who will take the info you gave him, misconstrue it, and screw something up, then say who he got the info from, and you're really in it then. leave the flying to the trained and licensed flyers and the fixing to the trained and licensed fixers.

Amen... :lol:

Ok Ok

I have had my little bit of fun.

Yes I did do compressor washes, but as I said it was with previous employers, and those companies are not in Canada, so there are different rules applying there. We didn't have an engineer employed by the company, we out sourced the maintenance like most of the other small companies. Once we were checked off to perform the wash by the engineer we were allowed to do them our selves.

Yes, I am aware of the steps, one 500 we had, had two we taps on the pc lines that you turned off so was easy, you didn't need to remove the line while doing the wash. Also had a switch in the engine bay for the igniter. We had 7 steps to remember so as to not leave anything turned off or left in eg bleed valve wedge.Zok was one type of cleaner we used, was another one also but can't recall the name.

The astar was easier, rag over the bleed valve vent to stop the mess, pump connected to the installed nozzle, rotor brake on, hit the crank button and pump the product until a a measured amount was used, let it sit, then rinse with water, then run to dry it out.

That was basically it, but yes, sorry, I have never done it in Canada......but you never asked.

It's nice to see you have finished playing your little game, I've operated in different countries that the governing authority was TC (country of origin) FAA, CAA and then basically ICAO regs.

You seem to have operated in a country that respects none of these regs.

I don't know of any regulatory service that would have sanctioned the installation of any of the shut off connection that you mentioned in the 500, except maybe Liberia.

Normally an engine wash is normally carried out if there is a change in your power settings or operating under the following conditions:

Industrial Pollution or cities.

Off-Shore area's, more a rinse than a wash, including tuna boat. (if smart daily)

Forest Fires

When required due to power changes for what ever reason.

This is an interesting POST and I hope the original poster will elaborate.

Cheers, Don :blink: :shock:

It's nice to see you have finished playing your little game, I've operated in different countries that the governing authority was TC (country of origin) FAA, CAA and then basically ICAO regs.

You seem to have operated in a country that respects none of these regs.

I don't know of any regulatory service that would have sanctioned the installation of any of the shut off connection that you mentioned in the 500, except maybe Liberia.

Normally an engine wash is normally carried out if there is a change in your power settings or operating under the following conditions:

Industrial Pollution or cities.

Off-Shore area's, more a rinse than a wash, including tuna boat. (if smart daily)

Forest Fires

When required due to power changes for what ever reason.

This is an interesting POST and I hope the original poster will elaborate.

Cheers, Don :blink: :shock:

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it isn't right!

http://catalog.edwards-assoc.com/category.asp?CatID=4

These items are approved and in common usage all over the world!

I aplogize for my lack of knowledge on the subject. Looking stupid, not the first time. Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Don

PS: I guess I'm getting to GD old and should learn to keep quite.

Nah, no need for that. Theea are actually a great idea. I have actually lost a machine due to a loose P3 fitting - read, tight, but not tight enough! I think this is a great idea to eliminate leaks, cracks and wear. The OEM engine shops always pull them off and send them back in a bag, then charge you for the original lines all over again!

Personally, if it is not a corrosive environment, I think the compressor should be washed prior to the first flight of the day, which eliminates the need for a drying run. In a corrosive/salt water environment engines should be washed daily without exception. Clean compressors = power.