Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fuel Tanks

I moved the discussion on fuel cells to this site as I deemed it more appropriate. All the comments I read on "Another Bird Down", I agree with.

The last machine I went in with was tail first, at low rotor rpm, split the fuel tank and the only reason it didn't catch fire was because I was swimming in it in the water.

All good points, but HEPAC cannot at this stage bring anything forward until the SMS dialogue is finalized.

If you want to do something constructive, send a letter of support and request action to the Minister of Transport and get the standards committee moving.

[color="#9ACD32]Who's life is in danger in helicopter flight?????[/color]

Ans: Crew and passengers.

Who is not in danger??????

[color="#9ACD32]People on the ground.[/color]

There is a cost to SAFETY.

WHAT COST IS ASSOCIATED WITH POST CRASH FIRE, OTHER THAN LANDING IN THE WATER.

WHY WAS JET B FUEL DISALLOWED IN AIRLINES???????

HEPAC will definitely bring this subject up as soon as we get the qualified people people to form committees and address these and other problems as they come up.

Don't sit in the background and *****, it's called participate.

WHO HAS BETTER INSIGHT IN THE HELICOPTER INDUSTRY THAN THE END USERS, THE CREWS THAT OPERATE THEM????!!!!!

Comments are welcome,

Don

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved the discussion on fuel cells to this site as I deemed it more appropriate. All the comments I read on "Another Bird Down", I agree with.

The last machine I went in with was tail first, at low rotor rpm, split the fuel tank and the only reason it didn't catch fire was because I was swimming in it in the water.

All good points, but HEPAC cannot at this stage bring anything forward until the SMS dialogue is finalized.

If you want to do something constructive, send a letter of support and request action to the Minister of Transport and get the standards committee moving.

Who's life is in danger in helicopter flight?????

Ans: Crew and passengers.

Who is not in danger??????

People on the ground.

There is a cost to SAFETY.

WHAT COST IS ASSOCIATED WITH POST CRASH FIRE, OTHER THAN LANDING IN THE WATER.

WHY WAS JET B FUEL DISALLOWED IN AIRLINES???????

HEPAC will definitely bring this subject up as soon as we get the qualified people people to form committees and address these and other problems as they come up.

Don't sit in the background and *****, it's called participate.

WHO HAS BETTER INSIGHT IN THE HELICOPTER INDUSTRY THAN THE END USERS, THE CREWS THAT OPERATE THEM????!!!!!

Comments are welcome,

Don

Maybe this will finally work.

Refering to the 500 accident did it have a "Cargo Pod" and if so did it have the Aux tank?

Ther 500 is famous for its "crash worthiness" but I know of at least 2 that had the Aux tank in the cargo pod that burned. ( Both non-rollover hard landings ).

i sent an email to TC ...i dont expect this one email from a kid to make a huge difference but im curious to see what their response is to this matter....if anything it just gives me a sense of well being knowing that i asked the question

to the minister of transport canada civil aviation,

hello, name is Taylor M. Im an 18 year old commercially licensed fixed wing pilot,helicopter AME apprentice, and aspiring commercial helicopter pilot. A great concern within the helicopter industry regarding the safety of helicopter crews and passengers in respect with post crash fires has been rumbling over the last month (more so than has been since the first ever post helicopter crash fire). Over the last month (as im sure you are well aware of) there have been 2 crashes in canada and one in the US that have involved post crash fires. Sadly, Both of the crashes in canada have taken a total of 5 lives (all most likely due to post crash fires). Luckily, the US crew managed to escape their blazing machine. These are definately a small percentage of helicopter crashes that have taken lives that most likely resulted from post crash fires. The problem that is being greatly discussed is the fact that todays fuel tanks and bladders in helicopters do not stand up at all in crashes and everyone is asking, " how many more lives have to be taken before TC mandates the use of self sealing or rupture/puncture resistant fuel tanks". I know they are available, yet operators choose to spare the $5,000 or $10,000 in fuel tank upgrades over the safety of thier employees and customers. My question to you sir/madame is, Why doesnt TC mandate the use of these tanks or even take any action in preventing or reducing the risk of these post crash fires? How many more lives hve to tragically be taken before TC becomes proactive in this matter? If you have a few minutes in the coming days would you please take the time to look on www.verticalmag.com/forums , look under the canadian helicopter operation sections, and read through the threads titled "self sealing tanks" aswell as "another bird down". If you could also take a minute and respond to this e-mail that would be greatly appreciated. This isnt meant to be an agressive letter to TC but an inquiry from a concerned canadian citizen and aspiring pilot.

Thank-you,

Sincerely,

TM

Ok,

TaylorM, You must have more info than me on the post crash fires???

Then why dosen't Transport Canada mandate airbags in all vehicles. Lets recall every car in Canada and install airbags (front and side) in all cars, hmm how many people are killed in auto collisons every day.

Why dosen't the government make every home have a sprinkler systems installed, that would save lives too, many people die in structure fires daily. Most people don't even have a fuctioning smoke detector in their homes.

Why? because it is unreasonable.