Fuel Tanks

I don't know about that.

Can you buy a new vehicle without air bags?

In the town that I live in smoke detectors are mandatory.

As for sprinkler systems there are laws in the works for future construction projects.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i appreciate your youthful vigor young TM but T-rex is right..............

Unreasonable?

Please explain, I'm pretty certain there are a lot of people without Fathers, Brothers, and Husbands who would beg to differ.

Making comparisons to cars is obscuring the issue, the numbers alone make it apples and oranges. As far as cars go, there are all kinds of gas tank standards to prevent fire btw.

This could have been done donkey's years ago, and could be phased in. The costs can be passed on to the customer, just like every other industry. Cost is not a insurmountable obstacle.

AR

T-Rex and 412, for a couple of guys that have been in the industry for a while you certainly come across a little weird. You two must be on the same path to the stone age.

412,what happened to your instruction skills calling somebody a young'un? What gives you the right?

How much more condescending can you to get.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with TaylorM's post, in fact it's right on the ball.

Maybe you two old fart's should provide constructive comments or were you just born knowing it all.

I still take my hat off to Taylor for having the guts to write the Minister, maybe a few more smart arse's could take their feet of the desk and try it and then maybe this industry will amount to something.

Try being CONSTRUCTIVE instead of DESTRUCTIVE.

You guys are way up there on the SMS ladder, I hope you know what SMS means.

Don

Well whats wrong with my ideas? They'll save far more lives than a fuel tank. In this industry we take inherant risks. If your not happy with the technology on the aircraft your flying...don't fly it! I know the risk I put myself through everyday. Whats next? Are you going to write a letter and have all aircraft with a teetering or underslung rotor system banned because in a forward impact the rotor blade slices off the forward cabin and usually decapitates the crew? How many crew have we lost from that one? Why not install de-icing equipment on ALL fixed wing aircraft? How many people have been killed from flying in ice? Maybe install wind shear detectors at all airports too, every last one, cause wind shear has killed our brothers, fathers, mothers....really come on!

Lets get real here, modern aircraft have advances in technology, even the idea of cockpit airbags being developed, nothing wrong with that!

As pilots we accept the risk our jobs give us. If you don't like the job, find another one. Man I could write letters all day about safety issues, realistically we have to work with what we have. May be we all can trade in our helicopters for unmanned air vehicles, then there would be no pilots to risk their lives!

Blackmac,

I am far from old, but I am realistic!

Its a hard one, PMA produce blades for the 500 series, after the odd one let go into the sunset and numerous ones cracked..S**T I saw 3 in a set of 5 crack, we threw the other two away!! (and before anyone starts it wasn't overtorqued or doing repetitive lifting, we reckon they were a Friday afternoon set !!) :blink:

No one demanded to MD that a vital part of the aircraft structure be built by someone who knows WTF they are doing...they just said...OH paint them white and check them every so often. That way when they DO crack you might see it..

Yes it would be great to see these non rupture bladders be installed, I for one would sleep a lot easier and it would have saved a good friend of mine and a number of others alot of pain physically and emotionally, but at the end of the day I tend to agree it won't be happening in the near future..I HOPE THEY PROVE ME WRONG :( :( :(

TT

T-rex:

Again, I say why harangue a new member for a post that he had every right to make and I hope he continues to make them??? :up:

The statement that we have to work with what we have, get real. :down:

I guess you would be happy flying a B47D, with that attitude. I flew one for awhile and not with "MASH".

If you think there is any comparison between house fire alarms, then you must admit that NOT having proper fuel bladders (self sealing) is just as STUPID.

If in actual fact if you are not that old, maybe you should take 412 advice YOUNG'UN.

Have a good day and try and be nice. :stupid:

Don

In this industry we take inherant risks. If your not happy with the technology on the aircraft your flying...don't fly it! I know the risk I put myself through everyday. Whats next?

As pilots we accept the risk our jobs give us. If you don't like the job, find another one. Man I could write letters all day about safety issues, realistically we have to work with what we have. May be we all can trade in our helicopters for unmanned air vehicles, then there would be no pilots to risk their lives!

Blackmac,

I am far from old, but I am realistic!

T-Rex,

I hope you're not actually serious with that reply.

"If you're not happy... don't fly it?" WHAT? I hope that any new pilots reading this will have enough gumption to read statements like that and ignore them. This is NOT how safety is approached, and like Blackmac says, if it were, we'd still be in stone ages.

"If you don't like the job find another one." Really? Is that how you treat your employees when approached with a safety, schedule, risk issue? I can only hope I'm reading that wrong.

A self sealing fuel tank is almost a no brainer, why it hasn't been done up until this point is a mystery, and one that is grossly negligent. This is a fix the WILL save lives, yet you say 'why bother' in as many words.... Brutal.

It's time this industry starts to grow the F&%k up. Attitudes like these are dangerous and no longer acceptable. We've all done things in the course of our careers that could be termed "stupid," but as we learn these things don't happen any longer. Just because something is the way it is, doesn't mean it's right.

Besides, the cost of these retrofits can, and would be passed on to the customer, but only if it's mandated across the board at the same time. Otherwise, well, we all know how most operators push the charter rates up every year - or not. What an industry.

AR

T-Rex,

I hope you're not actually serious with that reply.

"If you're not happy... don't fly it?" WHAT? I hope that any new pilots reading this will have enough gumption to read statements like that and ignore them. This is NOT how safety is approached, and like Blackmac says, if it were, we'd still be in stone ages.

"If you don't like the job find another one." Really? Is that how you treat your employees when approached with a safety, schedule, risk issue? I can only hope I'm reading that wrong.

A self sealing fuel tank is almost a no brainer, why it hasn't been done up until this point is a mystery, and one that is grossly negligent. This is a fix the WILL save lives, yet you say 'why bother' in as many words.... Brutal.

It's time this industry starts to grow the F&%k up. Attitudes like these are dangerous and no longer acceptable. We've all done things in the course of our careers that could be termed "stupid," but as we learn these things don't happen any longer. Just because something is the way it is, doesn't mean it's right.

Besides, the cost of these retrofits can, and would be passed on to the customer, but only if it's mandated across the board at the same time. Otherwise, well, we all know how most operators push the charter rates up every year - or not. What an industry.

AR

Meh saving lives is so over-rated.

Saving a few bucks on the other hand :punk:

Auto relite,

So in your safety meetings, if you have any, a pilot states he doesn't like the fuel tanks in your company helicopters? Are you going to change them? Is this realistic?.....I doubt it!

As for my comparison with smoke detectors, it is a matter of saving lives!

You can sit on here and talk safety all you want, but self sealing tanks are not in the future of every helicopter operated in Canada, get real.

What was meant by finding another job was, if you don't like the risk (of not having a self sealing fuel tanks), don't do it, fly it, or get out the business! Maybe mitigate the risk of flipping burgers at Mickydee's.

Or maybe Blackmac and HEPAC will fund the industry for self sealing tanks, maybe make your approach at the next HAC convention.

There are definately more reasonable and realistic ways to be safe!

I do know SMS, everyone is part of the system and one of the goals is be achievable and realistic

If you want to turn this into a personal battle Blackmac, bring it on oldtimer!!!!

T-rex;

You don't even pay attention, I said to be nice. Pay attention to your elders. I found out in my younger days that it's of no use banging your head against the wall, the only thing it accomplishes, is that it feels good when you stop. So I will let you go on your merry way as you seem to have all the answers. The funny thing is that you and your buddy, 412 seem to be the only one's.

Keep on doing an excellent job running your company.

Cheers, Don