Removing Structural Menbers In Flight (almost)

Hey folks, just remember when you are standing in court in you grubby flight suit and the lawyers are all dressed in suits worth more than your complete wardrobe, they will be asking you to find in the flight manual and the CAR's were it states you can take parts off inflight, or sling people on the line with out Class "D" approval. If you come back and say well I thought it was faster or I heard it was always done, remember your Co. will claim they don't even know you.

RW

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skidz: Why do you keep stirring the pot when there is nothing left to stir.

The post is a structural member and it must be in place for all flights, post can be removed when the aircraft is on flat surface, the collective is in flat pitch at 100% or flight idle.

The actual wording I used was not Bell's, but mine.

As always these are manufacturer's recommended procedures. What the operator does with the machine he has paid a fortune for and lets some hero pilot fly, is up to the operator, TC and the insurance companies.

Wait till Bell comes out with the official version.

All I was giving was a heads up and as usual don't take anything on this site as actual fact.

Don

Skidz: Why do you keep stirring the pot when there is nothing left to stir.

The post is a structural member and it must be in place for all flights, post can be removed when the aircraft is on flat surface, the collective is in flat pitch at 100% or flight idle.

The actual wording I used was not Bell's, but mine.

As always these are manufacturer's recommended procedures. What the operator does with the machine he has paid a fortune for and lets some hero pilot fly, is up to the operator, TC and the insurance companies.

Wait till Bell comes out with the official version.

All I was giving was a heads up and as usual don't take anything on this site as actual fact.

Don

Sorry Don, wasn't looking to stir the pot...:)

Today at around 1800 a Bell Tech Rep called me and we had a discussion on the matter of removing the structual post when loading a person in a helicopter(206) with the litter kit.

Bell will be issuing a clarification, which I will repeat as follows;

Post may be removed when the a/c is on flat ground at idle or 100%.

Post must be installed for all flights.

Any other configuration is at the operators discretion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Don

So that says to me holding on a pad at 40% or 50 % would then be considered not approved.

I still think that those who point out the liability and the customer pressure angles have it right. Some one is hurt? Slow down and do it by the book. (Though in this particular case the book does appear a bit hazy!)

To me, doing it right is getting the injured party to the landing and then reconfiguring your aircraft with the ambulanc kit.

Is there a way to slide a person in through the open door onto a prepared ambulance kit? Using the spine board or basket? If so that might be a way though I imagine that since no one has suggested it here it is not possible.

Cheers!

B

Hi Bugs,

We should wait for the full wording from Bell, (no disrespect to Blackmac's paraphasing or his efforts).

The key words seem to be flat ground.......i.e. you shouldn't need to hold power......or be on a pad.

The spine board cannot be loaded into a 206 length-wise unless the door post is removed.

The spine board cannot be loaded into a 206 length-wise unless the door post is removed.

Unless of course you turn it on its side and push real hard on the vic's gut... :prop:

Sorry, but I just thought this thread needed a little injection of humour with all that's been said the past couple days... :lol:

I agree with OT and Don: Let's wait for the official word from BHC on this...