Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aw 139 Accident

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a rumour that the Italians crashed another crane couple days ago too?? Nothing do with the AW139 or NH 90 but just thought I'd throw that in the mix too :rolleyes:

TT

Date: 01-JUN-2008

Time:

Type: Sikorsky S-64F Skycrane

Operator: Erickson Air-Crane

C/n / msn: 64-093

Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2

Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)

Phase: Manoeuvring (airshow, firefighting, ag.ops.)

Nature: Demo/Airshow/Display

Departure airport:

Destination airport:

Narrative:

Crashed in a lake during a fire suppressing demonstration flight.

Sources:

1. http://www.ansv.it/It/Detail.asp?ID=993

Added by harro (2008-06-03 11:34)

I just received an email from a friend that said ADA (abu Dhabi Aviation) lost a 139 with 8 fatalities... I haven't been able to confirm it and am wondering if anyone knows anything...

HV

The ADA 139 crash killed 5. Four were UAE Nationals and one ex-pat, Captain John Hanley, who by the way was in the back of the helicopter when it crashed. He signed for the a/c and was the PIC!! One of the Nationals in the front was a Sheikh of the ruling family in Abu Dhabi. The other National in the front worked for ADA and had been an employee for a couple of years. Prior to that he was in the UAE military.

The helicopter crashed at night (1950) local time when it was heading offshore (not to an oilfield). The a/c was totally destroyed and all on board were killed immediately upon impact. Falcon Aviation's SAR 139 recovered a couple of the bodies the next day. There is an investigation under way and as a result a number of the ADA management are, shall we say...... nervous.

The CVR and FDR will reveal more when analysed. Rumour and conjecture are running rampant at ADA now.

Zapper

Having worked in the Middle East and experienced the "mindset" there I can tell you exactly what the investigation will conclude.........

The fault will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the "PIC"

That's about all I can really say..... fearing cencorship :down:

The fault will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the "PIC"

Yep - Even if John was in the back. :down:

Unfortunately the mindset in the UAE will blame the expats, whether they are at fault or not. Because of "who" the Sheikh actually was there will be no blame attributed to him.