Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Crew Housing

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the "But the other pilot didn't complain" bs thrown at me more than once. :down: Sometimes it's even true...

I think we're often our own worst enemies here. Some of our bretheren are real slobs by nature and are quite happy living in their own excrement. I worked with one guy a couple years ago in James Bay. He wouldn't let the cleaning staff into his room to change his sheets and towels and vacuum. At the end of his tour (30 days), the cleaning staff had to disinfect the room and quarantine it for 10 days before letting anyone else stay in it. Imagine being stuck in a crew house with this guy, or cross-shifting into a bush camp with him... :blink:

Oh, and in case you were wondering they ( the operator) totally misrepresented the living arrangements. They say in error. 'cause they didn't really know what the resort was offering since they hadn't actually see it. But the resort did say it was OK. (I read the emails and saw the pictures). He was offered accomodation similiar to the guest with the same food. No surprise, it turned out to be somewhat less than advertised.

Geezuz Christ, I was asked if I wanted to fly that job this spring, but knowing the company I knew the wages were not enough to get me out of bed. :down:

Thanks for the heads up Bee Bee on the accomadation, as I would have just turned around and been on the phone down south before I hit sunshine. :shock:

I had thought better of them.

Cheers.

BeeBee:

I met your friend before he shipped out the the QCI. Seems like a real nice guy and it sucks things didn't work out, honestly. Two sides to every story though.

(of course, you had to meet the other pilot)

Nice man, real nice.

Guest Bullet Remington

Bee Bee;

U asked how you ( as in Fling Wing Drivers) are differfent then Scare canada drivers.

Here's how;

Scare Canada drivers have someone refuel for them, do the weight and balance for them, load the baggage for them, file a flight plan for them, have someone push the machine out for them, they always fly with a spare throttle monkey, who programs the flight data computer for them, then they take off, put their feet up on the lower section of the instrument panel and go to sleep. they land, some times, most time the aircraft autoland does it, they taxi in, park, and somebody unloads the machine, puts it away and they go home.

Fling Wing drivers, do all the above usually with the help of a contankerous engineer. Then the pilot goes to work, flys the machine, then helps to put the machine to bed. ( At Least the ones I contract with does this)

So how are Fling Wing drivers different then Scare Canada Throttle Monkeys?? Fling Wing Drivers work for their money. Scare Canada Drivers work for their union, and I use the word, WORK and Scare Canada throttle monkeys very loosely in the same sentence!

Guest Bullet Remington

Best Crew house I've seen in my career? Remote's New place in Slave Lake. The NEW one, NOT the old place down by the railroad tracks.

Beautiful place!

Liked the company!! The Chief Driver's a real Mau Mau though!! :lol::lol:

Guest BeeBee
BeeBee:

I met your friend before he shipped out the the QCI. Seems like a real nice guy and it sucks things didn't work out, honestly. Two sides to every story though.

Nice man, real nice.

Yeah...I'll tell him what you said. He's been a great mentor to me.

I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Stop your whinning and get to work!!!

Just kidding, but seriously, you're not in the wrong industry, you're in the wrong province. Move to Alberta where you can make some real money!!