Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Crew Housing

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Yellowhead crewhouse in Valemount is awesome.... much better than the old crack shack!

As far as comparing us to stiff-wing dudes, don't. It's different world for sure and if you think it's better, go there. I don't think it is, spent quite a few years flying planks and I quit to come here. Takes several years of crappy wages and working your way up and down the advancement ladder till one gets to be the boss on a heavy at Scare Canada.

Guest Bullet Remington
A? And why are we, as highly trained skilled professionals treated with such contempt? I just don't understand it. What am I missing here? How are we any different from an Air Canada pilot? Even by increasing your skills with an instrument rating and moving onto larger aircraft with more complicated systems you are still treated with very little respect as a professional. There is presently an ad running in this magazine for pilots to operate on an S76 and S61. Have a look at the minimum requirements to apply. And the pay, for an FO on the S76....$3000 per month!! Again. what am I missing here? Doesn't that seem wrong?? $36,000 per year, before tax. Wow. I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Goldmember:

I've included this quote to show you what I was referencing when I responded to Bee Bee's question/s.

I wasn't "comparing"Fling Wing Drivers to Plank Drivers. Being in this racket 35 plus years, I am intimately familiar with both worlds. And personally, I think it's a shame to compare Scare Canada Throttle Monkeys to Fling Wing Drivers. I had always felt that Fling Wing drivers had more Common Sense and a **** of a better work ethic then plank drivers. Of course, after visiting this site for the past five / six years, there are some glaring examples that show there are idiots in all facets of aviation. :unsure:

Do i figure the plank world is better then the Fling Wing?? Gez, obviously you haven't read many ( if any ) of my posts here!! :down:

Having read yopur statement, here's a question I'd appreciate an honest answer to. In that you don;'t believe that a Fling Wing pilot should be compared to a Plank Pilot, both being operators of flying machines; What in your opinion, in order to carry out wage, working conditions and benefits, would be a suitable comparison with respect to Fling Wing drivers??

I'm NOT asking to start a pi$$ing contest, I am very curious to find out what is a good comparison. Primarily, because ever time there is a conversation and/or discussion where in fling Wing Drivers are compared to any body else in this racket, the response has always been "Ah,,, Apples and Oranges, Ya can't compare us to Planks, engineers, doctors, bus drivers, etc, etc, ( Pick one that turns ya crank).

So from a Driver's perspective, what is a fair comparison??

Guest BeeBee
So from a Driver's perspective, what is a fair comparison??

What a GREAT question ! Do we bring anything more to the job than just our labour?

A friend (really) just came off a job where the operator ( a well known operator out of Richmond) wanted a pilot who would promote the "brand" an do everything to make the customer ( a fishing lodge in the QCI) happy and impress their clients with a skilled, entertaining, professional helicopter tour of the region to make their stay at the lodge memorable. So every night after the guests dinned they expected him (the pilot) to rise from the bowls of the crew barge (an old lumber company reject fire trap and seperate, in every way, from the main guest lodging) neat and clean in a full uniform with epilettes and bars (yup, they provided all the jewelery and expected it to worn) and mingle with the paying customers to encourage them to spend even more money on a heli-tour. Then, after completing his mission, return to his filthy plywood 8x12 unlockable cell in the middle of party central ( apparently the staff are all kids in their late teens and early 20's)not to emerge again until beckoned. Said he felt like a trained moneky on a string just there for the entertainment of the guests. He felt humiliated and disrespected. When his concerns were voiced to his company and the lodge manager, guess what, they said the other pilot didn't complain (of course, you had to meet the other pilot) and nothing could be done "this year" and he was branded as a trouble maker. Needless to say he quit. Why are these situation allowed to develop? And why are we, as highly trained skilled professionals treated with such contempt? I just don't understand it. What am I missing here? How are we any different from an Air Canada pilot? Even by increasing your skills with an instrument rating and moving onto larger aircraft with more complicated systems you are still treated with very little respect as a professional. There is presently an ad running in this magazine for pilots to operate on an S76 and S61. Have a look at the minimum requirements to apply. And the pay, for an FO on the S76....$3000 per month!! Again. what am I missing here? Doesn't that seem wrong?? $36,000 per year, before tax. Wow. I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Beebee, just out of curiousity, did you not look into wages and other determining factors before dropping the outrageous amount of money it costs to obtain your helicopter license??? You’re a pretty disgruntled guy for someone who just got into this industry. Did somebody severely mislead you to believe there would be a brand new B3 for your first job and $100,000 a year to start? Don’t get me wrong, there are definitly, without a doubt, unique problems within this industry that just makes you shake your noggin at times, but starting out, sometimes you have to bite your tongue, put your head down and suck it up. Not that I’m any old salt, but there’s been times where I think I should have had my head examined but I knew what I was getting into. The jobs haven’t always been the best, or the accomadations so nice (hard to find a Hilton in Wabasca) but like everything else, the more hours you get, the more valuable to a company you are and the more money you make and on she goes. I’m still on the low end of the totem pole myself, hoping for an Astar rating this fall if the gods are smiling, but I still do allright on the jetbox and there’s lots of guys at my work who have pretty comfortable incomes and they’re not all that far ahead of me. Hey, at the end of a long day it’s always good to sit around with the crew and whine about all thats wrong over a few beer and have a couple laughs (wouldn’t be pilots if we didn’t complain) but c’mon, are things that bad? I’d like to make a million dollars too and the wrenches should make even more for the hours they pull sometimes and for maintaining expensive, complex machinery in less than ideal places. Being in crappy camps for weeks at a time certainly gets old as well but as previously stated, this was not a shock to me when I started flying. Not to say I won’t stand my ground if I have to ‘cause I sure has **** will if need be but stirring the pot at sub 1000hrs is never the best idea. I’m sure there are exceptions, like your friend in the Queen Charlottes but out of curiosity, what were the hour requirements for that job? Because as always, if he wasn’t willing to do the job there was probably 10 lined up outside who would.

Why are these situation allowed to develop? And why are we, as highly trained skilled professionals treated with such contempt? I just don't understand it. What am I missing here? How are we any different from an Air Canada pilot?

"highly trained skilled professionals"??? Jeez BeeBee, you said you just started in this industry?? You have no concept at this point in your career of a highly skilled professional. When you have 7-8000 hours you can maybe talk "professional" Air Canada pilot?? Get your head out of your arse boy!!!

Don't even consider comparing yourself with an Air Canada Pilot!! Whole different industry and lifestyle. You sound to me like a typical member of the "me generation"---expect everything in life NOW!!

Guest Bullet Remington
Could also do without making the "other pilot" sound like dirt in the story of the QCI. If you like I can arrange a meeting and you can judge her for yourself.

Ryan:

Could U arrange an meeting for me??Is she picky?? What does hse drink?? How much can she drink before she's pie eyed??? :wacko::lol:

Just joking, I'm sure she's a great pilot and a nice person!!

What a GREAT question ! Do we bring anything more to the job than just our labour?

I have seen lots of crappy fixed wing crew housing as well. all those fishing lodges are not 5 star. Lets get this thread back on topic.

the point is no other industry treats thiier people this way.

the best crew housing I did was in Abottsford for the yellow fleet. Either the condo or at the Rio. NOt bad at all.

Guest BeeBee
Could also do without making the "other pilot" sound like dirt in the story of the QCI. If you like I can arrange a meeting and you can judge her for yourself.

Ryan that was simply a qualification not an accusation. Along the lines of "everybody is different" and "different strokes for different folks". It certainly was not a personal attack on the individual, male or female ( that was a surprise), implied or intended. Apologies if it was interpreted that way.

"but out of curiosity, what were the hour requirements for that job? Because as always, if he wasn’t willing to do the job there was probably 10 lined up outside who would. " When I read the ad the thing that stood out in my mind was the phrase "not an entry level position". So that left me, and 95% of the other job seekers out. I assume they wanted an experienced and (dare I say) professional to do the job.

Splitpin...I am a highly trained and skilled professional. What I lack is the experience to enhance my skills.