Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Linging Aluminum Boats

Guest Angry Egg Driver

We used to move lots of aluminum boats on seismic jobs.Took three lanyards and hooked one in each corner on the back and one through the bow.All 3 go to the carousel or hook at the same length.Boat flys right side up and can cruise at 40 knots without it flying up beside you.Think i have some pics someplace...

As the two previous posts said, GO SLOW. Consider the wind, If you're flying up wind it may take you a year and a day to get there. If it's very windy and especially gusty, be super cautious. If you have the option, weigh the thing down so it's heavier and won't want to fly as much. If you're flying the thing upright like AED suggested, get the guys to pull the plug and fill it with a few inches of water if there isn't another option for weight. Although, still fly slowly because if you loose the water it'll take off on you and life'll become interesting.

if you are talkin about lund type aluminum boats, I moved lots of them and didn't ever see the need to use a long line, short line worked good, just find a net big enough place about 3 full 10 gallon kegs in the stern, hook a short lanyard to the bow...on the balance point where the rope to tie it up usually goes and give'er ####... it wont do much over 40 and it just sits there and behaves itself just fine.

I've flown a 16' canoe in a 205 cargo net (20'x20') and it flew pretty well. The net has to completely surround all of the aerodynamic shape. Could get to about 60kts without any real exciting antics from the load. Put on a LONG line in case it decides to get mixed up with your downwash. :shock:

Hands down best way. Leave the outboard on it, two lanyards through the handles on the stern or transom. She'll fly upside down and backwards at 80 kts straight as an arrow! Use a long line for anything questionable such as a boat. Beware of satellite dishes I have yet to figure those out. They

are scary. Any suggestions?

post-1706-1212794406_thumb.jpg

I'm with heliben there

I have been shifting one around over the last few weeks, hooked 2 legs of a for point into two holes at the stern, (doesn't have handles on the back unfortunately) flys good and straight, the bow acts like a keel.

Just be ready for it to take off when lifting off and placing it down, warn the receiver to watch out!

Try asking the boys at Great Slave if they will share the way they do it. By far the best and safest, 50-60 knots in a 206 (60 it really wobbles side to side). Count on 50 though. Probably quicker in a Haystar.

Does swing a bit on lift off and set down unless there is a strong wind clearing the rotor wash. Talking 75 foot line.

Does take a bit of prep work for the first time and requires a 2 point. Or 2 equal length lanyards etc.

Using the handles is a bit risky - they can and have let go. I once saw a boat after a guy had it fall - he says it went loopy and pulled the pear ring up over and out of the belly hook - and it looke d less than lake worthy! Seems to me the motor was on it too.

Using a net and/or tying trees is slow and annoying to set up. And hard for one person to get a 5 or 600 pound Lund into the net.

GSHL really has the best method I have seen or heard of. :up:

B