Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whose Going To Be In Charge Of Licensing In 2009?

So in 2009, the mighty fine Transport Canada relinquish control of licensing, but to who? :shock:

Over a few beers last night with a couple of fix-wings boys, it came up that they are putting together a package for TC to became the authority in charge of licensing (they are some executives with a pilots union). Do we have anyone that is thinking of approaching TC for the rotary side, or even teaming up with the fix wing guys and make a joint effort.

Or is our licensing going to control by a group, that may have the best intentions but not have full understanding of the rotary side. As it seems to me that we need some input into the process at some point. :wacko:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in 2009, the mighty fine Transport Canada relinquish control of licensing, but to who? :shock:

Over a few beers last night with a couple of fix-wings boys, it came up that they are putting together a package for TC to became the authority in charge of licensing (they are some executives with a pilots union). Do we have anyone that is thinking of approaching TC for the rotary side, or even teaming up with the fix wing guys and make a joint effort.

Or is our licensing going to control by a group, that may have the best intentions but not have full understanding of the rotary side. As it seems to me that we need some input into the process at some point. :wacko:

There is a possibility of this being able to be controlled by the helicopter industry and actually it has been looked into, but if you ever expect anything to be posted on this site you are sadly mistaken.

Cheers Don

PS: Good on you Elvis.

I honestly didn't know TC had a set date for this. I just renewed this year so it won't matter to me for a while. CAMC? I'd love to know what's going to happen too. The current licensing model seems to work just fine. Other than the administrative hassle can't figure out the motivation for the change. I can only hope it's not some annoying half-baked scenario......

The AME associations want to take over the licensing of AME's (which makes the most sense) however a significant amount of apathy exists in the engineering community for support of the AME associations which may be the biggest hurdle for them taking over.

The AME associations want to take over the licensing of AME's (which makes the most sense) however a significant amount of apathy exists in the engineering community for support of the AME associations which may be the biggest hurdle for them taking over.

That makes sense. I wondered if that might be a CAMC objective too....but I haven't heard squat about those guys in a long while.

CAMC is definately looking at getting this job. also the CBAA (Canadian Business Aircraft Association) is poking around it. CBAA has no AME staff but carries out the audits of 604 operators as the designated authority from TC.

GW

The options of who is going to look after licensing is the people that do not have an axe to grind, other than the welfare of the industry, helicopter and stiff wing types.

We are in a virtual society, so what's the problem.

CAMC is a conflict of interest, they set Standards for the AME and the manufacturers they represent.

CBAA should remain as CBAA and has nothing to do with commercial operations.

Helicopter Engineers and Pilots Association can and will cover all aspects of licensing for all Engineers and Pilots in conjunction with the existing organisations, such as flight schools and tech schools, these are the people producing the low time Pilot and Future AME's.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to cover these licencing requirements we have a program in place to cover this aspect.

Pilot check rides, including IFR will be carried out.

I'm just wondering why we are not getting 100% acceptance from the helicopter industry, such as HAC and other organisations. After all it's your association for the betterment of the industry.

Maybe, just Maybe I am on the wrong track, if so let me know.

Please do not make this personal, I am just the messenger.

What is wrong with an association that is there for the industry and the people that make there living from it, including the operators.

Don

Blackmac, I appreciate your support of the AME however, the AME license covers a larger segment of the aviation industry than just the helicopter side. I fact, it is a small segment of the aviation industry in Canada. I hope we don't go back to the rotary only license, as the M1/M2 we have is far more flexible. The AME associations would make a better regulator as they represent the entire aviation industry in Canada.