Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight And Duty Time Limitations

so, new to Canada and struggling to grasp the flight and duty time regs.

3 off in 30, and 13 off in 90, seems ok. but what about this 42 days straight rule, how does that interact with the 3 and 13 off.

for example i've been working everyday since may 16, and only had 1 day off so far, so for me to achieve 3 off in 30 i'll need june 14 and 15 off, my problem is how does the 42 days straight rule interact with this, can i work 42 days straight from my last day off, i'm confused.

Any help would be great.

Guest sharky

(g) the accumulated 30-consecutive day, 42-consecutive day and 90 consecutive day flight times may be reset to zero if the flight crew member is provided with at least 5 consecutive days free from all duty

:punk:

(g) the accumulated 30-consecutive day, 42-consecutive day and 90 consecutive day flight times may be reset to zero if the flight crew member is provided with at least 5 consecutive days free from all duty

:punk:

5 days before AND after those duty periods. Keep in mind that FltDuty XLS has a glitch and won't check for the five days off before the duty period...

Haere mai,

720.15 is not what you want.......that covers flight hours extensions, not time-off.

You want Regulation 700.19......it covers time free from duty.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/.../700.htm#700_19

But these can be a bit restrictive, so..........

Note, in subsection 2 of that regulation are the two things you must do to extend beyond that rule........they are,

1; the Air Operator Certificate (in the front of your Ops Manual) must allow the extension, and

2; you can only extend to the limits mentioned in Air Standard 720.19

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/.../720.htm#720_19

The summary of that is as mentioned above, i.e. you can work up to 42 days straight if you get 5 days off before and after your tour.

Remember the Regulations are the Rules, and the Standards are the allowable extensions.

However your Ops Cert must allow the extension. Also remember your Company's Ops Manual may have stricter rules than the CARs, and therefore those are your limits.

This should all be in your Ops Manual. If you can't find it, your Chief Pilot or Ops Manager should be able to point you to it.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
...FltDuty XLS has a glitch and won't check for the five days off before the duty period...

There is no glitch in FLTDUTY XLS in this area. The option to reset your flight time totals to zero after a 5 day break is linked to the restriction in 720.15(1) for the list (a) through (h) where you are restricted to 6 non-overlapping 30 day periods in each 365 days.... This means you can't exercise the option to reset all the time. Only when you have less than 6 of these non-overlapping blocks used up in the past year. This also includes the options to allow the higher flight time limits in the Standards here, so anytime you are over the limits set in the regulations, you are using up a block.

FLTDUTY keeps track of these blocks in the High Limits Summary table (click View > High Limits Summary). If you do not get the option to appear after a 5 day break, click to see the High Limits summary. you will find that you have used all the available non-overlapping 30 day blocks and that the option is not available to you today.

You have to wait until the first block is more than a year away to get another block available for a reset. In hindsight, don't use up your blocks by frivilously resetting flight times to zero after EVERY 5 day break. Save those times for when you might also need the higher flight time limits allowed under the Standards.

Eric