Position Lights Burning Out On Bh06

kootenay

Any thoughts on what could be burning out the position lights on a Bell 206.

Wiring seems ok, lost two lefts, and two rights in 60 days.

I've heard people try and connect this with TR buzz?

Appreciated your help

Do the filaments look like they are shattered?

Could be vibration-related.

Does the a/c fly with the nav lights on all day? If not, try that as a hot filament will handle vibration more than a cold one

Do the filaments look like they are shattered?

Could be vibration-related.

Does the a/c fly with the nav lights on all day? If not, try that as a hot filament will handle vibration more than a cold one

I'm not the engineer / Ops. - there is no buzz felt in the TR peddles. We haven't had the chance yet to hold a hand against vertical stab. feeling for a buzz.

Yes - Lights are on full-time.

As well as vibration issues, what is the voltage regulator set to? too high a voltage might shorten the lives of the bulbs. Usually, Bulbs are pretty tolerant, and radios and instruments are the first to be affected. Just a thought on the voltage, but vibration seems more likely.

Added to What Elvis suggested, T/R driveshaft bearings can be harder to track down...but can cause a high freq vibration, as can engine sources. If you have a Chadwick 2000 or other vibration measuring tools that offer a full spectrum analysis can pin-point the Hertz of the source and you can determine what is spinning at that speed. Also, check your gear and see if it may give you a 2-per/rev.

Good luck.

The position lights are grounded through the airframe.

Check the attach bolts that attach the horizontal stabilizer to the tailboom. Make sure there is no paint at the contact areas.

What I have found, and I have found a lot of this, is that a painted contact area makes for a poor contact, and increases the current draw on the buld, which will either blow out the bulb, or blow the breaker.

Quite regularly.

When I install a horizontal stabilizer, I always clean paint off the contact areas where the bolts go through.

Also, check the wires inside the stabilizer, making sure it isn't chafing at the bottom of the stabilizer.

This will also cause the bulbs to blow.

I've found the sme problem with paint, especially on the long rangers. I find our a-stars and 206's do this a lot when it rains, and the fonzie cheap fix of giving the stab a light smack on top brings them back on. This is usually indicative of poor ground.

I had the same issue with a jetbuggy once. Went thru all the vib stuff to no avail.

One day I noticed that the front of the nav light base could easily vibrate due to mounting screws being quite a way back from the front. I prosealed the front to keep the base from vibrating and never had an issue since. ......just the usual bulb life