Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Low Level River Run.....

Guest Angry Egg Driver

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angry Egg Driver
I would have no problem doing the same flight in a 47 or a 61 - the result is the same.

In my opinion, he did nothing wrong - or particularly unsafe.

Jerry Cutler

So as an Ops manager Jerry....If your pilots were out doing this stuff and posting it on youtube, you would have no problem with this?

"What, exactly, did he do wrong?

He broke no CARs regs as there is no law against low flying outside of a built up area."

However, we should probably consider CAR 602.01,

"No person shall operate an aircraft in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger the life or property of any person."

"any person" would include the pilot and anyone else on board.

There's no real purpose in doing a low level run through the canyons, but then again, is there any real purpose in looping an airplane? None at all, but there are people out there with RV-6s going out on a Sunday and pulling loops, rolls, emmelmens, all that crap. No reason, it's just fun... and if I've not forgotten, flying is supposed to be fun. Both the canyon run and the loop can be totally safe if you take the proper precautions... which who knows if this guy did or did not. As the military always used to say... there will always be risks, mitigate what you can, weigh what you can't, and use your good judgment to decide if it's worth it in the end... What they need to add is "but never put the results on youtube"...

Mike

Just to clarify my earlier post...

If I owned my own helicopter, I would go out and have fun with it. I wouldn't exceed any operation limitations and I would use my own judgment as to the safety of what I'm doing.

Would I do a low level river run with my own small children on board? No.

Would I do a low level river run in a small helicopter with passengers on board? Not unless it was necessary for the job being done. Then the passengers are aware of the risk and the job would be done in a speed and manner that makes it as safe as possible.

Would I take a 205 loaded up with 14 drillers on a river run because they all wanted me to? No.

It's not that the guy was doing anything illegal, or abusive to the aircraft. Heck, from what I saw he wasn't even going that fast or doing anything very scary. It's more of an ethical issue.

There have been, however people who worked with me at certain large companies who would do things like loop H500's. There is a point where you cross a line and are now abusing an aircraft that some other guy has to get into and fly when you go home. That's not cool.

I don't know the guy who made this video of the river run, but in my opinion, posting things like this shows a tendency towards taking the next step and it wouldn't surprise me to see him doing other unsafe things in the future.

That's why I suggested he needs to find some more challenging flying. Maybe he could try some heli-logging. I figure if you are scaring yourself on a regular enough basis just doing your normal job, you won't have the urge to go do river runs and hammer heads... :D

I would have no problem doing the same flight in a 47 or a 61 - the result is the same.

In my opinion, he did nothing wrong - or particularly unsafe.

Jerry Cutler

Hmmm, makes ya wonder if you would still have that opinion if someone came smoking around the bend in front of you doing the same thing from the opposite direction.

Wow, instructors taking their students on a river run...

My instructor never did anything like that, instead we did a couple full-ons to confined areas. Now I know that I went to a good and thorough school and was more prepared for the real world than if I went to another school. When your learning to fly a helicopter you should be getting grilled constantly instead of off having fun.

Let's just say that buddy did go down for some mechanical issue. Would anyone hear his ELT very well at the bottom of that canyon?