Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

"cell Set" Music/cell Phone Helmet Adapters

A little touchy subject, but will add some points.

If one is concerned of hearing noises then what about noise cancelling headsets, or like I wear, CEPs?

Personally have used ANR and quite frankly don't like them as they do reduce some noise that is very normal and who knows what abnormal noises them mask. Have heard many a seatbelt rattle and even one fuel cap clunk while listening to music.

The company I trained at and worked the first 4 years or so had tape decks in the aircraft and thus have used music for close to 28 years now. I find it a great way to eleviate conversation in the aircraft which at certain times is very distracting. Think about how many "interesting" conversations you have had iether with your customer or second pilot, there have been many times where things we a little tense in the back and put on some music to settle folks down. Much radio chatter is one time when it get shut off though as I believe that your audio senses can be overloaded. I worked one fire with numerous aircraft and many thought I was abit of a grandmother when asking to have the "chatter" on radio cut down. Why five aircraft in circuit bucketing found the need to discuss dogs and girls is something inexplicable. Trying to get a word in while transitting their area was almost impossible. These numskulls SHOULD have been listening to something else other than the sound of their own voices.

Many pilots use music as a way to stay alert on long legs or mundane tasks, much rather have that then asleep at the wheel.

I work with pilots whom are totally against it and some that use it. I think as long as it is used in a manner which does not compromise safety such as low level river run listening to Beck it is ok.

Something quite nice about being in the middle of nowhere while listening to CBC on sat radio.

Our jobs can be vey taxing and many things distract, how bout working a dyna-nav while talking on fm and listening to 205 traffic in bad weather, should you have music on,,,,where as running bags on lonely job in middle of nowhere is ok. Is all in the where and how is used, but commons sense is an option many parents chose not to order.

sc

Common sense has to be a key ingredient. There are two types of advice that I often hear from high time pilots. Some things you hear consistantly from many different experienced pilots and other things you here two different points of view from many different people regardless of how many hours they have. I think this is one of those things that experience doesnt seem to play a factor in opinion. There is one pilot who I look up to more than any other and he has the same opinion as skullcap.

Well, I seem to have struck a nerve! I appreciate all the feedback here and in the other threads, thanks for those references.

I tend to agree with SC and others who emphasize common sense, time and place, appropriate volume level and shut 'er down when it becomes distracting. You'd have to be daft to dial up tunes or the cell phone while in the control zone for example. I think most pilots are subconsciously attuned to any changes in the usual background noise of their machine.

This sums up my feelings (my emphasis):

Many pilots use music as a way to stay alert on long legs or mundane tasks, much rather have that then asleep at the wheel.

I work with pilots whom are totally against it and some that use it. I think as long as it is used in a manner which does not compromise safety such as low level river run listening to Beck it is ok.

Something quite nice about being in the middle of nowhere while listening to CBC on sat radio.

Our jobs can be vey taxing and many things distract, ... . Is all in the where and how is used, but commons sense is an option many parents chose not to order.

sc

Thanks for all the useful input. Cheers . . . .

Hello Phil:

Thanks, I talked to the mfr, seems like a very good unit but expensive. A good alternative for less than half is the PA-86AH from Pilot USA or Merit Apparel (looks the same) also Marv Golden and others. Same basic features as the Cell-Set but only one input jack although a Y-adapter may accommodate audio and cell phone together. There is only very slight muting with radio Rx.

Now to find someone with stock, will try foam earbuds in the meantime.

Thanks for your help, cheers . . . .