Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Original Ec120 Landing Gear

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand the benefits of the mustache gear.....I was just surprised to discover that the EC120 originally had AS350 gear (sort of). That would be a very significant design change VERY late in a development program!

As for the courts.....yep...up until a year ago I was working on the 429 program. I don't work there anymore though.......

yeah...imagine how the 429 program will suffer if they lose the lawsuit and have to redesign the gear..... :shock:

it's supposed to catch the wire cole :rolleyes:

The gear design is very generous in the fact there is nowhere for the wire to get caught on the skid gear and cause you a whole lot of grief, provided you hit one on the lower half of the helicopter. You will still need an upper cutter to make sure those pesky wires don't tangle up and mess with your pitch rods.

The landing gear may not be approved as a wire strike kit per se, but it sure gives a little bit of added safety when you opt to not purchase a full kit.

I would always recommend a full kit if you work around alot of wire hazards.

If you're corporate owner or otherwise just toodling around in your toy, I'd be very happy to know I have a gear design thats going to work with you safety wise instead of against.

...I know its supposed to catch the wire, I was just thinking that if it weren't there, it doesn't look like a wire would catch anything at all on the bottom side. I do really like the safety concepts in the eurocopter products, it's good to know they're trying to make things better and not just at a higher profit margin.

Is the gear on the 429 identical or just similar to the EC's?

One thing about the wirestrike though.......the step protrudes fwd of the cross tube, which would still catch a wire.....

As for the 429....I'm not sure really how close it is the EC's.

But....in my uninformed opinion, I think all the lawsuit will do is make a few lawyers rich(er). I'll be really surprised if Bell changes anything major. Maybe they should fire Red....oh wait.....then they should fire Stromberg....oh wait.....

a_429_double_0803.gif

One thing about the wirestrike though.......the step protrudes fwd of the cross tube, which would still catch a wire.....

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the flight step is behind the tube, attached with clamps....if we're thinking the same thing.

I'll wander out and check one of several and see what i see and let you know friday.

Coles picture looks like the way I'm thinking, but it's hard to tell with all the drinking I've been doing... :punk: