Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc Grads

I was there with Chevy2. He forgot Rick Hewitt was instructing there at the time. The solo, and ride parties must have been good, since I seem to have a bit of memory missing. ;):D Mind it too could be the 40 YO thing too. :blink:

The Beta2 was BVL, and FNV had just gotten back from Robinson. QKT was sometimes brought up from T.O. for training, and HKJ (206LR) would be brought in to do the Lively winter carnival, and the snow mobile races. Remember that one Chevy2 ?? Our course had quite the international flavour to it. We had an Icelander, a Spaniard, a Swiss (with his miss :P ), 2 from the east, one from the north, and me from the west.

I'm out west flying summer contracts on mediums. Did the seismic, diamond drill, sampling thing, now happily chasing fires in the summer.

Cheers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CHEVY II

Randy...your right, I forgot about Rick H. My apologies Rick if your reading this. I wish I could find some of the pics you took. Maybe Randy could post our class pic, I believe you have a copy. Would love to see it for laffs! :rolleyes:

Guest CHEVY II
Chevy......you from the east coast origianlly? I'm from Halifax and did my fixed wing training there at Shearwater and pumped gas at the Avitat for a year. I heard.....well read through you......that Cougar's VFR work is gone.....what is Vision Air Services Inc.....east coast still?[END QUOTE}

22 Captain...I'm from Nova Scotia (YHZ) originally and still somewhat reluctant to leave again.

As far as Vision Air Services goes...The new company starts off where the old VFR department left off in CYHZ. Same machines, same customers and essentially the same crew minus the previous infrastructure. :rolleyes:

Chevy2, that pic is perched on the wall of my comp room. When I get a new scanner (might not be for awhile though), I'll scan it and send you a copy.

Heard from G.B. not too long ago. He's with a 214 operator out west, and he was with the machine in Sydney, Aus. Don't know if he was wrenching or flying. Have you heard from the newf ?? Wondered what happened to him. My roomate R.C. got on flying as co-jo on mediums fighting fires in Spain, but have no idea where he is now. I thought I saw a pic of him (in helicopters mag) at NMH doing some training a few years ago. Unfortunately Mike R. didn't mention the names of the 2 Spanish looking guys.

Cheers

22 Captain...I'm from Nova Scotia (YHZ) originally and still somewhat reluctant to leave again.

As far as Vision Air Services goes...The new company starts off where the old VFR department left off in CYHZ. Same machines, same customers and essentially the same crew minus the previous infrastructure. :rolleyes:

yes i would do anything to be back in Nova Scotia when I'm done....but may be a long shot till I get some hours in. Nice flying over familiar places! Next time I'm in halifax I'll be sure to drop by.......what hanger are you guys in.....still in the Shell?

Hi R22 Capt,

I am an ex grad from Buttonville. Flown VAR,FAR, FNV, NLE and even got to ferry a 212 from Les Cedres, yippie. Started as the Ground School insructor and then went FO on a 222 and now am Capt on the S76. I know the school well and the area. As Kirk about his low level training on the Holland River?????? lol. Or his take off from the Canadian sstatci show at Pearson!!!!! :shock:

I have flown the S76 in Halifax and it was lots of fun landing downtown on the hospital in the rain and fog. My friend is now flying the 61 in Halifax. I have met some other alumni on my tours. A few guys flying VFR out west for various companies and a couple on the EMS 76. Whatever happens never give up the dream. My suggestion is go west. If you have not finished your training try and finish in Penticion on the 206 and your job possibilites will expand 10 fold.

Cheers.

Hi R22 Capt,

I am an ex grad from Buttonville. Flown VAR,FAR, FNV, NLE and even got to ferry a 212 from Les Cedres, yippie. Started as the Ground School insructor and then went FO on a 222 and now am Capt on the S76. I know the school well and the area. As Kirk about his low level training on the Holland River?????? lol. Or his take off from the Canadian sstatci show at Pearson!!!!! :shock:

I have flown the S76 in Halifax and it was lots of fun landing downtown on the hospital in the rain and fog. My friend is now flying the 61 in Halifax. I have met some other alumni on my tours. A few guys flying VFR out west for various companies and a couple on the EMS 76. Whatever happens never give up the dream. My suggestion is go west. If you have not finished your training try and finish in Penticion on the 206 and your job possibilites will expand 10 fold.

Cheers.

thanks for the advice torqued....I've had a lot of people tell me to do my 206 time in Pentcton....so that may be my plan soon.

Who do you know at CHI in YHZ? I pumped JetA for them all the time and got up on a few flights with them. How long ago were you in YHZ?

I'll besure to ask kirk about his "adventures".....he has tons of good stories........you ever hear the one where he got shot at in Labrador?

When, where?

I'll give you the abreviated story. A weathly buisness owner wanted a large million dollar cabin built outside of Goose Bay somewhere. A native company and non-native company bid on the contract to bulid it......the non-native company won. So the natives in the area got pretty upset and hostile. Kirk was long lining some supplies in one day and heard several loud tapping sounds as he took off.......dind't think much of it.....everything was normal........got there and noticed a dozen loonie sized holes in the underside. Appartently someone on the gorund decided it'd be a good idea to try to take out a chopper with a shotgun. RCMP called about an hour later. They took it pretty serious.....as they should! Not sure if any charges were ever laid.....but i hope so.

Hi R22 Captain,

I trained there at Buttonville in 96/97 on QQO, FNV, LAR, VAR & NLE. Various instructors (Nisbet, Gerber, Collins, Martin & Krebs) Was a great time. One of few, that I know of, now flying from my group. Currently flying Pumas with Cougar in CYYT. Other two that I know of flying VFR in Goose Bay. Wish you all the best. Agree with others on the Penticton bit. Flew for CHW for 4 years. (1998-2001) Been at Cougar since then. Nice being in your own bed every night. All the best!!

SAR