Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc Grads

Hi R22 Captain, 

I trained there at Buttonville in 96/97 on QQO, FNV, LAR, VAR & NLE.  Various instructors (Nisbet, Gerber, Collins, Martin & Krebs)  Was a great time.  One of few, that I know of, now flying from my group.  Currently flying Pumas with Cougar in CYYT.  Other two that I know of flying VFR in Goose Bay.  Wish you all the best.  Agree with others on the Penticton bit.  Flew for CHW for 4 years. (1998-2001) Been at Cougar since then.    Nice being in your own bed every night.  All the best!!

SAR

good to hear everything went well for you. Flying offshore is definatly my longtime goal........worked many many many hours in YHZ watching cougar and CHI machines headed out to sea. Any tips on how to make it to the offshore world. I have my IFR now......which I hope will lead me in the right direction early on......but every tip helps!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest you kinda have to be at the right place at the right time. Unless you have prior Heavy time its pretty tough to stand out in a pile of resumes. If you have your Heli IFR, ATPL-Helicopter and a Night rating you will have met the basic requirements. Now you have to stay in touch and impress the operators better than the guy next to you. Don't worry too much about the Heavy time. Everyone has to start somewhere and most operators have to bite the bullet once in a while and hire a low timer. I started here two years ago with 1500 hours total time, about a month out of Pro IFR and both the HAMRA and HARON under my belt. Now Captain with over 1800 hours on S332L. Keep focused if this is your goal and keep in touch with your Chief Pilot to be. The offshore side is not for everyone by no means but offers a stable home life if thats what you are in too. So get the most out of you VFR flying now as the IFR is much like flying on a 727. (Straight and Level, two crew and lots of Company SOP's) All the best!

SAR

Well to be honest you kinda have to be at the right place at the right time.  Unless you have prior Heavy time its pretty tough to stand out in a pile of resumes.  If you have your Heli IFR, ATPL-Helicopter and a Night rating you will have met the basic requirements.  Now you have to stay in touch and impress the operators better than the guy next to you.  Don't worry too much about the Heavy time.  Everyone has to start somewhere and most operators have to bite the bullet once in a while and hire a low timer.  I started here two years ago with 1500 hours total time, about a month out of Pro IFR and both the HAMRA and HARON under my belt.  Now Captain with over 1800 hours on S332L.  Keep focused if this is your goal and keep in touch with your Chief Pilot to be.  The offshore side is not for everyone by no means but offers a stable home life if thats what you are in too.  So get the most out of you VFR flying now as the IFR is much like flying on a 727.  (Straight and Level, two crew and lots of Company SOP's)  All the best!

SAR

Thanks for all teh greast advice.......I will use it to the fullest extent. I'm in the process of writing my HATRA so hopefully that'll put another card in my deck. I enjoy the IFR, 2 crew enviroment and can't wait to get there. As far as keeping focused I have a pic of TIG inside the cover of my logbook to remind me what it's all about ;)

excuse my stupidity.....but what is the HAMRA and HARON.......similar to the HATRA?

I'm just glad there are guys like you out there livin the dream....something to look forward to someday. :up:

R22 Captain,

The HARON and HAMRA are the two exmas that you need in order to have an ATPL rating. From what I understand, could be wrong, the HATRA is the somewhat simplified version of both combined into one but will only allow you to fly as a First Officer with a somewhat restricted ATPL. This is my understanding and have been told that the HATRA will get you a step in the right direction and buy you some time to complete the HARON and HAMRA. You may want to confirm this but this is my understanding of it. I'm sure there are other members on here that could give you a much better/correct answer.

Hope it helps!

SAR

JBC,

ahh yes, now I remember. merci.

How is the weather, freakin cold according to the ZUM Metar this AM..........phew -32, have not seen those types of temperatures in a while.

Ya still trying to deplete the few remaining deer in the RedWines or wa? Oh ya, that is a protected herd :P:P

• 2 weeks later...

<_< Gees RDM, I thought you would have clarified this "STORY" for Mr R22..... the actual pilot that was shot at in Cartwright, Labrador is now the Captain on the S-76 in Hamilton. He was a regular contract man for CHL during the Voisey's Bay era and by far one of the best long line pilots I have ever worked with. I don't recall the a/c, CG-BPS or CG-EPH maybe and it wasn't full of loonie sized holes, there was one!

As for the rest of the story, well the "How it took place part", "Where it took place" are about the only bit of truth I can find in the entire work of art.

I think there's a saying out there that goes something like this;

" IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT PROBABLY IS "

<_< Gees RDM, I thought you would have clarified this "STORY" for Mr R22..... the actual pilot that was shot at in Cartwright, Labrador is now the Captain on the S-76 in Hamilton. He was a regular contract man for CHL during the Voisey's Bay era and by far one of the best long line pilots I have ever worked with. I don't recall the a/c, CG-BPS or CG-EPH maybe and it wasn't full of loonie sized holes, there was one!

As for the rest of the story, well the "How it took place part", "Where it took place" are about the only bit of truth I can find in the entire work of art.

I think there's a saying out there that goes something like this;

" IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT PROBABLY IS "

oopps my bad....guess that's what happens when the story comes second hand and I babble it all over the net......lesson learned....mouth shut :blink::mellow:

hope i didn't upset you Split

anyone else out there from CHC school's?