Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Hr A Year

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys

‘flight time’ - means the time from the moment an aircraft

first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off

until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight; (temps

de vol) E.I. skids up to skids down.

That being said, if the blades are turning and crews are getting in and out you are still acting as PIC of that A/C, Same usualy goes for the clients bill therefore thats usualy what I put down for PIC in my logbook.

Returning to the original question 900 hrs/Year averaged over the last six years.

Frank

‘flight time’ - means the time from the moment an aircraft

first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off

until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight; (temps

de vol) E.I. skids up to skids down.

That being said, if the blades are turning and crews are getting in and out you are still acting as PIC of that A/C, Same usualy goes for the clients bill therefore thats usualy what I put down for PIC in my logbook.

Seems like you have contradicted yourself in the above paragraphs?? The definition given equates to 'skids up/skids down' & the second paragraph is rotors turning? Multiple personalities? depending on the day?

Back on topic..... 500-600 per year

So do most folks bill for run ups ....say when you areon red alert working fire? Engineer cant do them ......requires pilot at the helm .....blades turning.

Or is it considered part of the contractual deal.....ensureing that the machine is up to snuff?

Seems very minimal however over the course of time it would ad up.

What about this one?

GENERAL AVIATION POLICY LETTER GAPL 2005-02

2005-09-07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject

Definition of “flight time”.

Purpose

Clarify the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) definition of “flight time” with respect to helicopters.

Reference

Canadian Aviation Regulations Part I - General Provisions, Sub-part 1 Interpretation

Background

CAR 101.01(1) defines “flight time” as meaning “the time from the moment an aircraft first moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight”.

For aeroplanes, the meaning is clear and for helicopters that can taxi on the ground, “flight time” is interpreted as it is for aeroplanes. For helicopters on skids, it has been interpreted to mean, “skids off to skids on”. In this case, “flight time” and airtime would be the same.

Annex 1, Chapter 1, of the Convention on International Civil Aviation sets out separate “flight time” definitions for aeroplanes and helicopters. For helicopters, “flight time” is “The total time from the moment a helicopter’s rotor blades start turning until the moment the helicopter finally comes to rest at the end of the flight, and the rotor blades are stopped.” In Canada, some have applied the ICAO definition of the helicopter “flight time” for helicopters on skids.

Action

In order to clarify the interpretation of the definition of “flight time” with respect to helicopters as it applies to flight crew licensing, “flight time” shall be as it is set out in Annex 1: “The total time from the moment a helicopter’s rotor blades start turning until the moment the helicopter finally comes to rest at the end of the flight, and the rotor blades are stopped.”

In order to align formally with the Convention, a Notice of Proposed Amendment proposing a separate definition for helicopter “flight time” will be presented to the Part I Technical Committee.

Effective Date

September 1, 2005

Expiry Date

This Policy Letter will expire with the appropriate amendment to the CARs.

Manzur Huq

Director

General Aviation

Keep in mind that CARs only requires you to log sufficient hours each year to prove you are current. I know many pilots who update their personal logbooks only once or twice a year. These guys are generally in the five digits, mind you... :rolleyes:

So, if you want, you can only log air time, or first skids up to last skids down, or whatever, as long as you don't exceed flight time as defined in the policy letter: "From the time the blades start turning to the time they come to a stop"...

Personally, when I was a low-timer, I logged every little bit I could to get that TT number up as fast as possible so I'd be more employable faster...

Guest bag swinnger

625 hrs last year 825hrs the year before, projected to be 400 to 450 this year by my choice. My yearly income should stay within a few thousand dollars for each of these years. Smarter not harder, fly less make more.

At the same time I see a bit of a correction for the past number of busy years in Western Canada.

I feel that I have some good endorsements, some fair skills and am marketable. I still see myself as a low time pilot though. still learning everyday and still very grateful to have one of the greatest jobs ever.