Polishing Stone For Splines

BRZRKR

I spoke to an older engineer one day about blending out nicks on t/r gear box splines on the input shaft. he gave me a small piece of stone called kratex. I can't find the stuff anywhere. Anyone know of this stuff or an alternative?

I spoke to an older engineer one day about blending out nicks on t/r gear box splines on the input shaft. he gave me a small piece of stone called kratex. I can't find the stuff anywhere. Anyone know of this stuff or an alternative?

Also ACT Equipment Sales in the Lower Mainland, B.C.....Burnaby? Can't remember.

FYI Cratex isn't a stone it's a "rubberized abrasive". ;)

Any idea which grade i should order, I want to use them on 206 splines, ie, oil cooler blower shaft, t/r g/b input shaft...

It's nice to have a selection from "extra fine" to "coarse" because Cratex comes in handy for all sorts of crap. As a rule use "fine" or "extra fine" for polishing tolerance critical parts - so you remove as little material as possible. (My opinion only). You might have to opt for the grittier variety if you are dealing with any serious rust or scale on the 206 t/r driveshaft system just to deal with the worst of it and then finish it off with a lighter grade. Be sure to have some pins (I forget what size) to measure your splines after your rework is done.....and grease (for holding your pins and lubing your splines). ;)

PS - Cratex comes in: extra fine, fine, medium and coarse grades.