Boo-hoo, Wah, Sniff, Sniff...

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of sniveling from a few of the most recent inductees to the wonderful world of aviation? I by no means lay claim to any longevity award but I am currently working on my 18th year as one who pays a mortgage by way of a paycheque earned by flying something, and I still love what I do.

Maybe I'm having a bad day because I'm getting older and blew my back out on Sunday and it's hurting like a motherf@#$er, but holy crap I'm tired of hearing from newbies that want everything right now!

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of quality 100 hrs out there, but there seems to be more and more that want big money and a great schedule just because they spent 40 or 60 grand on a license. Why is this? Is it a generational thing or are a lot of flight schools making unrealistic promises?

I fully expect to be smacked around a bit, so let er rip.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of sniveling from a few of the most recent inductees to the wonderful world of aviation? I by no means lay claim to any longevity award but I am currently working on my 18th year as one who pays a mortgage by way of a paycheque earned by flying something, and I still love what I do.

Maybe I'm having a bad day because I'm getting older and blew my back out on Sunday and it's hurting like a motherf@#$er, but holy crap I'm tired of hearing from newbies that want everything right now!

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of quality 100 hrs out there, but there seems to be more and more that want big money and a great schedule just because they spent 40 or 60 grand on a license. Why is this? Is it a generational thing or are a lot of flight schools making unrealistic promises?

I fully expect to be smacked around a bit, so let er rip.

I don't think any new pilot thinks he\she deserves, big money,great schedule,just because they dropped 50-60G's on a licence.I do think they expect to make a decent living without sacrificing,their life for it.

And what's wrong with wanting a great schedule,just because it's been crappy for years,does that mean it has to stay that way

I think todays younger generation put's more value on a home life than,than bragging rights on how many hrs they flew that year.

thats all I got say about that

You won't get smacked around by me GoldMember. I agree with you 1000%!!! Sure is a lot of

whining kids out there. Having said that, the last couple of weeks in the field (Alberta) I met a lot of newbies that showed a lot of promise and I also met a few that were total wipeouts!! I don't think it's the fault of the flight schools, it's a generational thing.

Hmm. I thought it was only me thinking the same thing. This biz is never going to change very much-hasn't in the last 25, so I've noticed. If you don't like the crap-don't go. Honestly, no amount of ranting and whining is really going to change where we go and what we do. Of course, somebody is going to say something prophetic like if we don't band together and blah blah blah, you know the jist of it.

I don't necessarily agree with the 4-6 week tours( and longer for that matter), but there is something to be said about remembering our history as an industry. I've only got about 10 years in now, but some of my most valuable lessons have come from the old dogs, and the best way I've found to get a seasoned engineer or pilot to give up the tricks of the trade is to spend the hours hanging around the heli in the evening, to put the time in the hangar, and yes listen to some of the old stories! (ecspecially when a few of the boys get together!)

We've brought some 100hr guys up from scratch lately and they've proven to be outstanding, but I think it's imperative to remember our roots and how we got here from the experiences from the guys before us.

Here's to all the old school's out there, may you always have a low timer to run and get the ladder!

You gotta put the time in!

my 2 bits...

work to live, not live to work.

How come one thread talks about having an association to deal with all the difficulties that we encounter day to day and then we have a thread that says, "suck it up, its always been like this"? Kinda makes you want to give your head a shake.

I have to agree with several different opinions here.

The conditions we have worked under have sucked for years, but they are getting better.

But, there is no reason not to keep pushing for more improvements.

If a professional association helps with this, that is great too.

I think it is also generational.

Not only are kids these days more vocal with complaints, but us that have been around for awhile are getting more sensitive to the whining.

However, simply replying, "Ha, you've got it lucky. Back when I started........", is not the answer. That just lowers us to their level of communication.

I've noticed the biggest whiners in this industry seem to last the least amount of time here.

I just wish they had done their research before trying to become one of us "Glory Boys".....just to find out there ain't much glory involved!!

Hopefully they move on, become a stockbroker and start making $750,000 per year soon.

Also these web forums give the whiners a new venue to air their complaints.

My advice to new-hires has always been the same, and remains......

1). Shut up,

2). Listen,

3). Sweep a lot,

4). Smile a lot.

The most dangerous words I hear in this industry to excuse poor workmanship or attitude are "I've been in this business 30 years and..."

Everyone can learn from anyone, and not hearing what lowtimers have to say denies them the chance to learn from your reply. Who knows what fantastical notions they're carrying around in there heads if they are to worried to voice them. I think it's great the younger gens are trying to change the industry- greed and safety are always at odds, it'd be nice to see safety win some more.

So those of you that are tell us all to shut up and stop whinning, i'd shure love to know what type of shift you are doing?

If your doing 40-45 day on, are only given 5 days, and have been doing it for 3+ years stright

then mabie you can tell me to shut-up, but if not then you can shove it....

I know for one, i'd would shure like to have some sort of life, the only firends i have now are fallers and drillers. and not one of them has a nice set of tits