Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Boo-hoo, Wah, Sniff, Sniff...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
So those of you that are tell us all to shut up and stop whinning, i'd shure love to know what type of shift you are doing?

If your doing 40-45 day on, are only given 5 days, and have been doing it for 3+ years stright

then mabie you can tell me to shut-up, but if not then you can shove it....

I know for one, i'd would shure like to have some sort of life, the only firends i have now are fallers and drillers. and not one of them has a nice set of tits

Cry me a river. We have all done those tours. I am quitecertain that if you had a 1 week on and two week off shift you would still find a reason to snivel. Find another job or go back to your tent. There is tons of work available. Just go get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the biggest thing is work ethic and not many of the new guys have it.. perfect example is on my last tour I was at the main office and as a pool guy I did not have a key for the hanger, so I told the 100 hr beatch that I need in the hanger at 7a.m. sharp as i had to be airborne 45 min later and needed to DI, roll out and fuel up. 10 after 7 I'm still waiting for buddy to show up. luckily the crew house is beside the hanger and when I kicked his door off the hinges at 7:15 and yelled

"what the f@#k time did I tell you I need in the hanger"

and buddy starts saying 'oh I was up but thought you went back so I went back to bed" and Goldmember can attest that that guy never even stirred out of his room I have issues with that kind of bullsh@t for two main reasons:

#1 - when I was a 100 hr guy if a senior pilot said they needed in the hanger and I had to open up for them the hanger was open at least half an hour early, coffee was on, lights were on and fuel was drained... **** I"d still do it for a guy if I was on base and he was flying and I wasn't

#2 - if this guy can't man up and admit he f@#ked up on something small like this I don't want him flying any aircraft that I fly.

shut up, don't make excuses, admit when you f@#k up, take your sh@t like a man and I'll respect you more for it

Hi Boys:

I don’t profess to know everything. None of us ever will. Armed only with the Allison Turbine Course and 5 hours/week of maintenance instruction at Canadore College, I got hired in 1978 and spent the summer as an apprentice. I wobble-pumped for two 500Cs, which were flying a total of 16 hours a day. At first I thought I was screwing up because most of my classmates had flying jobs. But later on I realized that I was getting a great education watching how other pilots performed on the job. Decisions on weather and, loading, how they (Danny Sitnam, CEO of Heli-Jet was one of them) dealt with the customer and our own company. My point is that if you want to do this for a living, it’s probably best to not keep comparing yourself to your our peers. Just concentrate on doing the best job you can, learning as much as you can and basically staying alive so you get to learn more lessons.

In 1978, I made 650/month, only accumulating statuatory holidays. That fall, when I began flying, I made 800/month and 10/hour. The tours were 8-9 weeks with 2 weeks off (oh yeah, and stay by the phone). Yes they sucked. And nowadays we don’t have to deal with that BS. Find a decent company, one that has a good maintenance record and just do your job. With some luck and if you don’t try to be a hero horsing around, landing in tight holes or pushing weather or weight, chances are you’ll have a long and enjoyable career.

My advice is to fly lights and intermediates until you have at least 3 or 4 thousand hours. Pushing to jump to the mediums might be your undoing. Take your time. Enjoy your career. Tours will tend to suck less the more experience you get because as your hours build up, the number of companies interested in hiring you will increase.

The cool thing about this job is that it never gets old. I still love it and I’m still thankful I gave it a try.

Take your time. Do your tours. And don’t worry: before long you’ll have your pick of companies.

Chirpyboy

Guest plumber
I think the biggest thing is work ethic and not many of the new guys have it.. perfect example is on my last tour I was at the main office and as a pool guy I did not have a key for the hanger, so I told the 100 hr beatch that I need in the hanger at 7a.m. sharp as i had to be airborne 45 min later and needed to DI, roll out and fuel up. 10 after 7 I'm still waiting for buddy to show up. luckily the crew house is beside the hanger and when I kicked his door off the hinges at 7:15 and yelled

and buddy starts saying 'oh I was up but thought you went back so I went back to bed" and Goldmember can attest that that guy never even stirred out of his room I have issues with that kind of bullsh@t for two main reasons:

#1 - when I was a 100 hr guy if a senior pilot said they needed in the hanger and I had to open up for them the hanger was open at least half an hour early, coffee was on, lights were on and fuel was drained... **** I"d still do it for a guy if I was on base and he was flying and I wasn't

#2 - if this guy can't man up and admit he f@#ked up on something small like this I don't want him flying any aircraft that I fly.

shut up, don't make excuses, admit when you f@#k up, take your sh@t like a man and I'll respect you more for it

Also if they told you to be there at 7 you should be there at 6:30. I asked a kid to plug in my car when I was up in camp, -40 outside he proceeded to tell me my car was to far away from the hanger. There was only 500 ft off extention cord in the hanger and the car was at least 100 ft from the hanger. So don't blame these poor kids. Blame the math dept. at your local school. Backstabbing and tattle tailing beats hard work and ethics in this industry. :down:

Calling people "100hr beatch", kicking in thier door, and swearing like a sailor is not going to inspire respect or work ethic in anyone.

Wow! I bet you are also the guy that introduces your self as " Hi Im Pilot X and IVe got XXXX hrs" and walks away with your head so far up your own a&* its not funny.

I agree some peoples work ethic isnt there, or anywhere near there, but how is yelling at the "100 biathc" going to help matters. I would suspect you would have been a special case back in your day knowing everything already. Maybe you are the one that needs to grow up a little and maybe help the problem, instead of being part of it.

And what is all this B.S about senior pilot, 100hr guy. we all have to work together i thought.

Yes I know..and when you started you had to walk in snow 10 ft deep up hill both ways.

I listen to miserable old diatribes like this one and I am forced to consider why this industry is as messed up as it is when it comes to working conditions and pay scales. Here's a news flash, it has nothing to do with the 100 hr newbies.

Every workplace regardless of where or what it is has always pi&%ed and moaned about how the new guys have no work ethic and blah blah blah.

This notion that because the guy who has been doing it for 25 years had to put up with shi**y working conditions so should all that follow is antiquated and just plain dumb.

Right or wrong, I can certainly tell you what would happen if someone busted my door down at 7 am and started swearing and cursing at me. They would be picking their chicklets up off the floor, job be damned.

Rookie pilot does NOT translate into "slave or base biatch" and shame on anyone who still thinks that way.

WW

Yes I know..and when you started you had to walk in snow 10 ft deep up hill both ways.

I listen to miserable old diatribes like this one and I am forced to consider why this industry is as messed up as it is when it comes to working conditions and pay scales. Here's a news flash, it has nothing to do with the 100 hr newbies.

Every workplace regardless of where or what it is has always pi&%ed and moaned about how the new guys have no work ethic and blah blah blah.

This notion that because the guy who has been doing it for 25 years had to put up with shi**y working conditions so should all that follow is antiquated and just plain dumb.

Right or wrong, I can certainly tell you what would happen if someone busted my door down at 7 am and started swearing and cursing at me. They would be picking their chicklets up off the floor, job be damned.

Rookie pilot does NOT translate into "slave or base biatch" and shame on anyone who still thinks that way.

WW

Very well put. Couldn't agree more. :up: