Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loyalty

Not a rookie on the boards, just protecting my backsides in case the boss peruses the forum. Background, approx 3000 hours Lights, Intermediates, very little twin time, IFR and Instructor

So here I am, somewhere in Canada, with an offer to leave.

Problem is, I am Loyal, and don't want to be causing trouble, and in the end I actually feel that Iam being used, simply because I am so darned loyal. I will always go in on days off if needed, work the shittyest spots, just cause I am a nice guy, and often steamrolled, just 'cause.

Now I am at a possible crossroads, meaning I have an offer on hand, but reluctant to leave because of my somewhat unique qualifications, making me hard to replace.

So my question will be this, should I be reluctant to go, or should I just jump at it.

I have decided that IF if I DO go, I will wait until the season is mostly over, but it will probably still leave my current employer in a bit of a lurch....

Any opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Propontop

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a rookie on the boards, just protecting my backsides in case the boss peruses the forum. Background, approx 3000 hours Lights, Intermediates, very little twin time, IFR and Instructor

So here I am, somewhere in Canada, with an offer to leave.

Problem is, I am Loyal, and don't want to be causing trouble, and in the end I actually feel that Iam being used, simply because I am so darned loyal. I will always go in on days off if needed, work the shittyest spots, just cause I am a nice guy, and often steamrolled, just 'cause.

Now I am at a possible crossroads, meaning I have an offer on hand, but reluctant to leave because of my somewhat unique qualifications, making me hard to replace.

So my question will be this, should I be reluctant to go, or should I just jump at it.

I have decided that IF if I DO go, I will wait until the season is mostly over, but it will probably still leave my current employer in a bit of a lurch....

Any opinions are welcome.

My suggestion would be......have a heart to heart with your employer. Talk to them as direct as you are here on this site. Do not come across as demanding or confronatational......talk open and honest about your career and the furure.....do not sell your employer short.

Good luck.....H56

Helilog is right, don't 'burn a bridge.' and give your employer reasonable notice or at least some time to try and replace you, if he can (these are difficult times for experienced crew!)

Employer's can be upset that you leave but must understand the importance 'taking on new challenge's!'

If your new endevor is ot what it appears to be, you may have the chance to go back!

Good luck on your decison...

Guest BeeBee

How has he treated other employees in the past in similiar circumstances? Has he been considerate of their needs for time off or a change of venue for better conditions or better pay? Did it ever appear to you that he actually cared about the people who work for him building his business? Or has he taken every opportunity to belittle and take advantage of their support? Is he the sort of a guy that would help you out of a jam because he can....do you consider him your friend? You're not responsible for his success....you are responsible for your own.

" It's just business".

Follow your conscience...obviously something isn't sitting well with you or you wouldn't be asking complete strangers for advice.

Make the move that is right for you.....you know what that it is.

Don't wait..."he who hesitates is lost"

At least have the decency to talk it through with your chief pilot. The worse type of pilot is the one just going on time off who says, in passing, "By the way, I won't be back in two weeks time" and then walks out the door. We have no idea why or where he is going.

Being a 'go-to-guy' isn't always helpful either. Eventually you will be resented by your co-workers and you will resent yourself.

Just to clarify, I will NOT set myself up in a bad light on purpose, so I will give ample warning (1 month will be adequate I think, and not leaving until the season is mostly compete).

what makes it hard is one of the specialties we do in the wintertime, and this might make some trouble, but not worldshattering so.

And no, I wont leave on a bad note either.

Other factors are family life, which at this stage is non-existent. Also the planning for the season only got complete a couple of weeks ago, thus no chance to plan times off with the family (wife).

The new opportunity will lead to what I eventually want to do, what I do now only drifts farther away from that avenue.

Thanks for good answers to now, I value all the insight.

Propontop

Have a discussion with your employer about what you are being offered by the other guys, what makes that offer attractive, and why you are considering taking up that offer.

Let the employer know what it's like in your shoes.

That way, when you do decide to leave, there's no hard feelings, and the present employer has had the information and opportunity to do what the other guys are doing to retain your services if he should choose.

Lots of good advise on this thread. Just be honest with your employer. Remember if you died tommorrow they wouldn't close the doors and shut down, so even if you think you have special talents or attitude doesn't mean leaving is going to be the end of the world for them.

Which is another point, if you did pass on tommorrow the company would be upset and have to do some shuffleing of duties and stuff to make up for you not being there but in a week or two things would be back to normal and in a couple of months you probably wouldn't even be missed (or mentioned) at work, However,

Your family would miss you forever. Your kids would always talk about how their Dad died, your wife, even if she remarried would still have memories for her entire life of the one who was taken away. Keep that in mind. and keep it in perspective.