Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loyalty

problem is small company...

family owned and operated, and the employer expects as much work off you as they do themselves.

Bottom line is I work for me and my family...

On the other hand, the company I am thinking of leaving has done LOTS for me as well, financial help and other things, however negatives too, had time off booked, and approved, but then it clached with some other stuff, and was in the black book for a while.

Also never any support if complaints about living conditions, and expenses always have to come out of pocket, which may not always be easy, with debt up around the ears and so on (sure I am not alone there)

Anyway, don't want to sound like a whining baby here, as I am not. BUT, the bottom line is my wife and I.

Thanks again, many good replies, now I just have to figure a way to tell the present employers in a good way. They know that eventually IFR is my goal.

Thanks again

P

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the wrong guy to ask.....I've never worked anywhere for more than a year or two. Three and a half is my record.

But I've had this debate many times before. As far as I'm concerned I don't get why anyone would be concerned about their employers "feelings". Business is business. You gotta look out for #1. Most of the time it's nothing personal. An employer should realize that if they are not a retard.

And figure if they HAD been treating you right, more than likely you wouldn't have had your feelers out looking for another gig. So why be so concerned about them? I'm sure if the tables were turned, the employer would not afford you the same courtesy.

Give 10 days to two weeks notice. That's not burning a bridge.

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things...........

I agree with MMike - be as reasonable as you can, but you come first. If they had no pilots and you were around later they would still hire you again rather than having a machine sit on the ground.

I hear you about them doing stuff for you, though and it does cloud the issue, but remember if you work over a reasonable amount of hours you could be viewed as investing in the company and therefore deserve the rewards. The fact that the owner does is part of running a business and his problem. I'm not saying you shouldn't help out when their backs are against the wall, but the modern trend is to have people working as long as possible, and should be stopped in my opinion. People have lives outside the office.

Phil

You're not responsible for his success....you are responsible for your own.

" It's just business".

Can't believe some of your comments!

Your success is DIRECTLY related to his success! If an operator (any or all of them) don't make it, you don't have a job. Pretty hard to be successful then I would think.

As was stated earlier in this thread, you had better keep you secret identity well hid. Bosses will avoid that kind of attitude...

Remember the grass might be greener but it's always longer so you can't see the B.S. till you cross the line.

Some companies are better then others, as far as I am concerned there mostly all the same. You are number one#1, every company looks out for there best interests and won't hold back. When the season sucks and there isn't alot of revenue, you'll be out the door or getting a pink slip.

Do what is right for you, but don't regret your decision down the road.

Guest Angry Egg Driver
Lots of good advise on this thread. Just be honest with your employer. Remember if you died tommorrow they wouldn't close the doors and shut down, so even if you think you have special talents or attitude doesn't mean leaving is going to be the end of the world for them.

Which is another point, if you did pass on tommorrow the company would be upset and have to do some shuffleing of duties and stuff to make up for you not being there but in a week or two things would be back to normal and in a couple of months you probably wouldn't even be missed (or mentioned) at work, However,

Your family would miss you forever. Your kids would always talk about how their Dad died, your wife, even if she remarried would still have memories for her entire life of the one who was taken away. Keep that in mind. and keep it in perspective.

There are a few that will close the doors when a tragedy occurs.Don Nikaforic at Ruperts Land did just that.And to say that you wouldnt even be missed after a few months is utter bullshit.I have worked for companies that have lost pilots and i have lost a few friends and they are always missed.If you are working for companies like that you are working for the wrong kind of people....

Can't believe some of your comments!

Your success is DIRECTLY related to his success! If an operator (any or all of them) don't make it, you don't have a job. Pretty hard to be successful then I would think.

As was stated earlier in this thread, you had better keep you secret identity well hid. Bosses will avoid that kind of attitude...

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not suggesting that you should not give 100% and act professionally. But to pass up what could be a good opportunity because it "might make your currently employer sad" it just crazy in my mind.

Regret what you do, not what you should have done.

Edit: Yes, EVERYONE's success is linked to one another. My success is linked with the employer and the employer's success is linked to my satisfaction. He has as much resonsibilty to fix it so that I want to keep working there. Whether it's salary, the type of work I'm being required to do, benefits....or how comfy my chair is...or whatever. If the employer is interested in retaining his workforce, then he needs to be an "employer of choice" for lack of a better term. If you're unhappy/unfulfilled for whatever reason, then pack up and leave.