Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loyalty

Jeez...some sandy vaginas around here.

First off I was being facetious about my standing on the other forum. I understand the noob pecking order.

Second of all, I don't think I've said ANYTHING outside the the norms of forum etiquette or even remotely flame-worthy. I was seemingly being lumped in with another user who is apparently "problematic"? And that's merely because I don't share your opinions about employment philosophies?

In this day and age, my viewpoint is not uncommon. Gone are the days of working somewhere for 35 years and walking away with a gold watch.

Anyway dude. Not sure what your issue is with me. Lord knows I've got it in me to be an internet a-hole. But I've not even come close to acting like one.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Rosco

Ditto, Rbird! :blur:

...Anyway dude. Not sure what your issue is with me. Lord knows I've got it in me to be an internet a-hole. But I've not even come close to acting like one.

:up: Did you step in it already, MMike? :P They ain't so bad here on most days. Some days though, you just can't win! :eye: Welcome to Verticalmag; it's all good!

Sorry, Propontop. Good luck with your decision!

Loyalty

Propontop,

I was in a similar situation to yours in some ways a few years ago. I had been working under the same manager for a good 10 years and he always kept me busy and we had a good work relationship going.

I had an opportunity to go to bigger machines and work a 2 on 2 off and I really wanted it. The manager in question is a very type A personality, so I wasn't sure how he would react to me wanting to leave. I decide to take the high ground and be completely open and up front about things. I asked if he could work out the 2-2 shift for me first, then when he couldn't I let him know about the other possible opportunity even before they had guaranteed me the job. (I think this might have worked out in my favor if they called him for a reference.)

Long story short, I gave him a good month notice and when I did leave he had some very nice things to say and wished me well on my new career path. I was very glad that I had done things the way I did. I'm sure most employers worth working for would react the same way if someone was just open and honest with them about things.

Even if they don't react well, at least you have nothing to be ashamed of because you did the right thing.

Propontop,

I agree with JetB 100%. I had an opportunity earlier in my career to take a position closer to home and with better pay and a lot more time at home. I have two kids and decided to take the postion even though I was giving my current employer little notice.

That employer had been great to me for about 7 seasons, and after 17 years in the industry is the only one that I have left on unpleasant terms. I think about that decision often, and I can only give you the advice to do what is right in your mind. As you are the one who will have to live with any decisions you make.

But that being said, nobody will look after you but you. This is business. Search out what you want to do, and if that means leaving then give the company two weeks notice.

Good luck.

hg12

"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."

As with any decision there are always many variables. This is a business but these sorts of decisions are based on emotions and feelings mostly - for those that have them - not just on unbiased business logic.

If that were the case then people would stay until the end of their contractual obligation or face legal or financial penalties. Obviously it doesn't work like that.

Unfortunately, it's not just the employee that has to live with the decision. It will affect lots of people, the ex-employee just won't be around to see or deal with it.

Does life and business go on after the departure - sure it does for both parties, it has to, and it may be good or bad for either after the fact.

There are many roads to take in life and some of them end up at a dead end. It's always best to have a bridge behind you at these junctures. There are time when burning a bridge is inevitable though.

It all boils down to the individual's priorities in life. Knowing what's truely most important will make most decisions much easier.

Good luck in any event.

RH1