Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

As350 Problems?

Hoss

Sharkbait, all of our's have cyclic/pedals on #1, and cyclic/collective on #2. Didn't matter what serial number, since we had them from #30002 (a serial number that Bell tells us doesn't exist) up to almost 297, and they were all the same system.

Could you get the pole back up?

Bit of a personal question, eh wot ?? :shock: :P It's no problem raising the power, but getting it back down is another matter.

Cheers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here's one for ya Randy..... #2 Hydraulics Fail in 205A1 with the govenor in Emergency Gov. mode........ooooohhhhhhhh!!!!! "This ain't going to be pretty!"

407 never in a 1000 years would I call AHL a "shadey op." Hope it's alittle warmer on your side of the rocks these days? Yes, those calls were put in by somebody! Had to deal with the after effect all day! 'Re assurance!' was the quote of the day.

Mag, you going to make it to HAC in Ottawa? I believe I am going there, you?

has anyone considered that the "incident" last year that really got this going was just a result of a screw up by the pilot.

astar is a great machine. well proven. sure some dodgy belt driven hyd but most persons with that failure have had not trouble.

just because that particular driver had thousands of hours doesn't negate the potential for him to be the resultant.

no offence to the man. just a generalisation based on the multi-thousand hour pilots I have flown with that don't know their machine from their arsehole.

The pilot that died in that accident had something like 11000 hours, and was the chief pilot. I didn't know him but I know people who did. He was supposed to be very knowlegable.

A reliable source showed me the diagram the TSB has from the GPS and the witnesses on the ground and he spiraled in the wrong way at the end. All turns left. Doesn't make sense to me, and Ive been flying Astars for a long time.

It is not likely that he didn't know his machine from his arsehole.

Mr Chairmanof the BORED,

Yes, many incidents in the past have been caused by pilot error, but I am sure the accident investigators have looked into that possibility, and decided to move on.

Yes, some very high-time pilots have caused incidents in the past, but these are usually an unfortunate "error", not a blatant "screw-up".

Yes, some pilots don't know their machine from their arsehole, but I am sure this pilot was not one of those.

Though your point about pilot error is remotely valid, your choice of words in your "generalisation" do seem to be somewhat disrespectful to the accident investigators, the pilot (one of our fallen brothers), and his deceased passengers.

I hope that if (God forbid) you cause a pilot error, or have a mechanical problem, no-one speaks of your incident in such blunt terms. We owe each other more diplomacy and respect, it's a tough enough business as it is.

Your brother, CM

Ok here's one for ya Randy..... #2 Hydraulics Fail in 205A1 with the govenor in Emergency Gov. mode........ooooohhhhhhhh!!!!! "This ain't going to be pretty!"
T-rex, I'm glad I read that this morning, and not last night. Would have given me night-mares !!! :shock: :blink::D

With the collective forces in the 205 I seem to recall that the twist of the TT straps could be adjusted to lessen the problem.

True Elvis, but it still won't allow the collective to go all the way down to the stop. It comes close, but not all the way. Talking with J.E. awhile back, and he said that ours were pretty good with the #2 off. He remembers when the 212 blades were first put on, and said there was a big difference.

Back to the Astars. It seems odd that an aircraft that has been around for as long as the Astar, would start having this problem. It is more than possible for the pilot to have made a mistake. Just as possible for maintenance, or any company who overhauled/manufactured the parts. TC is only doing their job by looking into all aspects of this problem. If they didn't, many would be on them for not being thorough enough in their investigation.

The fact that a proven aircraft is suddenly having problems should ring alarm bells in anyone. Regardless of the cause. If training, or proceedures are at fault, then let's find out and make new ones that make it safer. If it was a problem with the a/c, then let's find out what happened. Then try to fix it.

Cheers

Latest from TC via e-mail(although have not seen personally) is that it may be just moisture problem as hydraulic oil absorbs any moisture it is in contact with. This can lead to ice causing fod problems and water turning to vapor causing vapor lock, which disappears after crash as is reabsorbed into oil. Same old same old, similar accident killed a bunch of folks in 206s years ago. Notice oil comes in cans now, and people leave open can around(albeit with some lid on it) maybe the use of plastic bottle would be the answer. Also changing oil as frequently as 206 would be very prudent(every 100 hours).

Usually not many new problems on machine that has been around for as long a Astar, but sometimes we have to re re re re .....learn the basics.

Well said there Randy_G.

Another factor may be the increased pilot sensitivity to control issues with the A-Star. Some of you may recall a period of time following the SwissAir tragedy in which the number of "smoke in the cockpit" emergencies increased - at least in the media. In the wake of the last 350 AD I found myself puckering at every funny little feel in the machine.

Don't be scared - be prepared. Let's let the facts present themselves. I for one would love to see a better hydralic system on this aircraft, but if the current one is deemed safe, that works for me too!

Time to back to sleep.

Cheers.

The TC e-mail to which you refer is from one inspector offering it up as a suggestion. It is a good suggestion, but it is only one of many. It certainly shouldn't be considered as a TC position at this time.

I personally hope it turns out to be that simple. It would make a lot of folks happy.

The 206 accident, if you're refering to the one on the Prairies, was micro-FOD, and the pilot lost control at night.