Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Training Schools

Seiger

Hey there Seiger...first of all, allow me to congradulate you on seeing the light. B) That fixed wing stuff is boring!! ;)

You have made the right move by asking for advise and input but do yourself a favour, don't take any one piece of advise as gospil. Those with negative feedback on a school usually have had a snag of some sort. Those who are totally pro for a particular school usually have a connection. Hiring of the young is not necessarily an asset. This industry is comprosed of such a small group that those who cannot afford to hire their graduates usually have a connection out there. Neither one guarentee you a job at the end of the day. Either one however can be ace up your sleeve if you play your cards right. Learn to endure a lot of frustration and patience over the next couple of years (or however long it will take to find that first break) and you will get a good return on your investment.

Good luck. :up:

LR

hey seiger..............I'm a student at CHC's school in Buttonville doing my conversion from fixed wing. This side of the biz is just as hard and frustrating as the fixed wing side! Definatly lots of low time guys hanging around. But if you want it bad enough you'll make it. Make all the connections you can. I had a few before starting........and have made a few more on here. And trying to keep them all very close. It's definatly way way smaller then fixed wing. Everyone knows everyone. and the flying is MUCH harder. There's no auto pilot in a robbie ;) Throw everything you've learned about flying out teh window except for attitude power trim........haha

HI Seiger, You don't say which part of the Country you are in or if it matters. I could recommend Coast Helicopter College in Sidney B.C. It is run by Bob Reimer late of VIH chief pilot fame and the best damned autorotateuer I've seen so far. His motto is "if I can't teach you how to fly........you suck." Although Coast is not a hirer of pilots, VIH no longer has it's own school and unofficially uses Coast as it's recruitment centre if they are in the market for new blood.

of course i would say the best is where i work but..............

my advice is look at the school best for YOU! location, a/c type ect.

be leery of any school that gives guarantees or says it's easy to find work.

but the main thing is LOOK around. investigate as many schools as you can. surf the net or if they have some schools in your area go and see them. also, ask alot of questions (i.e. number of students per instructors ect.)

good luck

I'm a big fan of the flight school that is somehow attached/associated with an operator....I think it increases the chance of learning more about the operational side of the business during your training...and if by chance/luck/the alignment of the stars that operator is hiring at some point, then knowing some people in that organization puts you that much closer to a job...providing you can make a good impression!

:D

These 11 questions are also discussed (along with other information about training) by Lyle Watts in the latest Vertical Magazine. Good article.

As someone else said, get out on the road and talk to schools. Also ask them about the chances of getting hired by a real company.

Then ask the real companies the same question......I bet you'll get a different answer.

The conversion will cost alot of money, so you should really look into the chance of getting a return on your investment i.e. a job.