Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's Causing Our High Helicopter Accident Rate And What Can We Do To Reduce It?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington
I've been reading and everyting has been duly noted. Unfortunately I can not comment or offer an informed opinion yet (I am not a pilot yet but I want to be a safe pilot) and I am very curious. What is a DG?

Thanks for you help.

Murdoch

DG = Directional Gyro. Common practice taught is that you set that thing to the Boy Scout Compass every 15 minutes. The Boy scout compass must be swung every 12 months and its accuracy recorded. Kinda like fornicating using a condom with a hole in it. You get a false sense of security while you're getting screwed.

IFR guys MAy uise the DG and boy scout compass. Everybody else in the working world uses IFR as well. ( I follow roads) and a GPS - some MAy use a map. but the map users are getting fewer and far between!

Thanks Bullet.

I appreciate the explaination. All of it.

Funny though, I was in a military surplus store yesterday looking at a pair of coveralls with two clips on the left thigh and I thought that would be perfect for holding a map....

Murdoch

Guest Bullet Remington
Thanks Bullet.

I appreciate the explaination. All of it.

Funny though, I was in a military surplus store yesterday looking at a pair of coveralls with two clips on the left thigh and I thought that would be perfect for holding a map....

Murdoch

Murdoch;

What you were looking at is a Military flight suit! And those litlle clips are made for holding maps.

Gps is now used by eberybody! map reading is or was part of the flight training. Fewer and fewer people use maps, if fact a lot of pilot don't even carry maps!! While i do have a couple of GPS I won't fly without a map. If I get a power failure, The map, and pencil will still work!!

PLUS, there are a trucload of 'rules of thumbs"for navigation by map reading. Ruke of thumb for GPS??? Turn it on!! LOL

I've been reading and everyting has been duly noted. Unfortunately I can not comment or offer an informed opinion yet (I am not a pilot yet but I want to be a safe pilot) and I am very curious. What is a DG?

Thanks for you help.

Murdoch

Directional Gyro. Something to do with Pilot stuff. :P:P

WTF?????

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 24HM Make/Model: B47G Description: 47D/G/H, Trooper (OH-13 Sioux, TH-13T, U

Date: 07/24/2008 Time: 0522

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Unknown

City: JUNEAU State: WI Country: US

DESCRIPTION

PILOT WAS STRUCK BY ROTOR BLADE UPON EXITING THE HELICOPTER, JUNEAU, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1

# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

OTHER DATA

Activity: Unknown Phase: Other Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: MILWAUKEE, WI (GL13) Entry date: 07/25/2008

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bullet Remington
perhaps........apathy

That could be true, Swamp! Alot of people are getting or have been suffering a severe case of apathy,. Probably because until something happens to them, it seems like it can only happen to other folks.

I've been tring to dispell thge apathy around here, but it having been working! I'm getting to the point now that i don't really give a crap!! <_<:lol: