Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Are Things Slowing Down?

I was noticing that there aren't as many adverts for pilots as there was last year. I am working right now with about 1000 hrs under my belt ( mostly 44 time ) and was looking to move on into bigger machines. My question is should I stay put in the job I have or is the market still hot in the turbine section? Thanks in advance for the replies.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the reduction in ads is due to the fact that it has become common knowledge, for folks in the industry, that there is a high demand for pilots/ame's everywhere ....why spend the money on an ad when you get 100 calls a day from people looking for work or a change in scenery

Just my opinion

I think that the reduction in ads is due to the fact that it has become common knowledge, for folks in the industry, that there is a high demand for pilots/ame's everywhere ....why spend the money on an ad when you get 100 calls a day from people looking for work or a change in scenery

Just my opinion

I'm with you man, if you want a job....go get it. Whats the worst they can say, no?

cheers

MG

From what I'm hearing from guys and girls both east and west, it has been a slower than average year. With the exception of Saskatchewan, every province is having its worst (or best, depending on your point of view) fire season in many many years.

That means a lot of machines usually chasing fires are parked. GSHL has a number of machines parked all over the place on spec.

Add to that a bit of a slow-down and lots of cost-cutting in the oil and gas sector, and things aren't exactly rocking right now.

I know a lot of companies still have seats to fill, but it being slower allows them to take their time and be a little more selective in their recruiting.

The season is far from over, however, and generally speaking, a slow summer means a busy fall... :up:

From what I've seen, it is definitely slow. I've talked to alot of guys both within my company as well as others that are doing alot of sitting.

I just don't see how, with oil around $145 / barrel, why more exploration and development isn't going on?!?! :blink:

Here's hoping for a busy fire season.

Alberta changed the Tax status on Income Trust companies. This mean means most dirt bag gas companies have to pay tax. I know a few operators who have seen a reduction in flying hours over this. Plus Alberta called the oil industry on the increase of royalties. Think a few threatened to shift there money else where.

Maybe the stupidity is slowing down. Lets not forget the average american does not have pot to piss in. The house the car may be nice, but the banks own it all. How much more can we squeeze out of them.

Keep in mind the oil price is a spectulation based price and no longer supply and demand. It may be $145 a barrel, but oil companies can only justify $75 a barrel and are setting their exploration projects accordingly. Its a bit confusing...but thats's the way the oil and gas sector is. Basically...the demand for oil and gas is not what the stock market is saying it is. Therefore, exploration is at an average pace...and the stock market it out of control.

We are still short one Astar driver that can move drills and sling bags proficiently (long line of course) as our pilots are timing out. I'm not asking anyone to leave their employer hanging but if you are in a situation to make a move and want steady year around work send me a pm. We are running FX2's on these jobs.

Todd Tkach

Gemini Helicopters