Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Drill Move

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest who's yer daddy

Mitch, GIVE yer head a shake!

There is not a drill company in Canada (let a lone a driller!) that will let you move their drill on a lanyard!!!

Safety, safety, safety. Lanyard safer than a longline - I think not!

Faster on a lanyard??? Maybe you compared to everyone else. But WTF do I know with only 8000+ hours of LL time. FA I guess!!!

If a short line works for you have at her. If it is safe and in your comfort zone all the better.

In 22 years I have never once hauled a drill that could be moved using a lanyard...am I missing something here???

Oh Boy!

I'm fairly new at this drill moving thing but I think the only time I'll use a mirror to set a tower would be if I wanted to put it in exactly the opposite direction than where the driller pointed! :rolleyes: I will admit though that it would at least get me out of camp alot faster than if I used a long line LOL....tongue firmly inserted into cheek.

Zazu

here is an advise that kept me safe and efficent, it's difficult to have the exact weight. Even if the driller try to be honest. So to make sure that you are within the aircraft limits, if by the time you reach the beginning of the yellow arc on your torque or temp and you are not off the ground, then you are to heavy. And stick to your decision because it's your *** up there and the drillers below!

Mike

[/quote

Would be curious how many pilots agree with that statement. Are you saying when you are moving a drill and you hit 85% tq on a 206 you put the load back down, beginning of the yellow N1 on the B2 Delta gauge, or 48.5% tq on a 205?

The easiest drill moves I have ever been a part of involved one specific piece of equipment.... a load cell. We could do the math and calculate exactly what could be lifted (when gross weight was the limiting factor of course), this resulted in the safest, easiest and most stress free drill move you could imagine.

Banoy,

I agree. The load cell is the BEST way to settle scraps with drillers, make sure you're getting loads right before you take off, and that things weigh what they're supposed to. Which they never do.

Elvis,

I've been using a load cell for YEARS, never had one go south, and even if it did, there's always plan B... the old way. You make it sound like using one precludes everything else... It's just one more tool to do a better job. Just like a GPS. But I still always have my maps.

AR

good good good, lots reactions!

After thousands hours slinging, I needed to fly abroad and discovered several ways.

1- try to have an engine failure hovering at 100 ft, I think all guys prefer 10/15 ft

2- before helicopter exists, helmets, protection glasses and gloves was here, and drillers wear these round the world, no problem with our downwash and noise

3- Mirrors are oposit in the first, sometimes second hour operations, and then your mind takes the way in the right direction

4- Young guys can be ok to fly lookink through the hole window in Astar, but after 20 or more years slinging your back in the end of the day...you know....

5- parking towers? try to repair ski lift towers in switzerland mountains, winding and fog, hovering 2 hours with 2 guys in a basket under you, I prefer the mirrors and having lunch and good coffee during this work, and no longlines.

I can give you more numbers

Who wana bet more? sorry, but I'm flying 23 years and I need to learn more, the same in the nexts 10 years

Who has a reaction about some bad condition in camps and operations? come on, it's a good discussion and my goal is to improve conditions, and, of course, salaries.